Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this 1995 E300D and it seems to only have 68,100 miles on it. What would be a reasonable price for this car, because edmunds says only up till $5800 max and KBB says $6200. Also, if anyone owns this type of MB can you please include the common engine or any other type of problems that might occur.

First time buyer for a car and especially Mercedes. Also, im pretty handy cuz me and my dad worked on his 1999 C230 Kompressor. Thanks ya'll!!!!!

Cars.com: 1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300 Diesel

·
Registered
E320 Bluetec S420
125 Posts
Those are non turbo if i am right, they are good cars especially the MPG, but i prefer the Turbo its faster and gives way better gas mileage but they are rare in W124 with the OM606.... you can find lots of the turbo diesel in the W210...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah its not turbo just a regular diesel engine, but what im just worried about is that what specific problems this car has that can be fixed easily like wire harness but what are the other other problems this car has?

·
Registered
1992 300SD, 1986 300SDL, 1995 E420
884 Posts
68,000 miles? Jump on it I doubt you will have any major issues for many years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so im presuming by reading other forums that the only problems with this type of MB is the wire harness, vaccum pump(at around 230k miles.....?.....right?), fuel lines....?, and soot collection in the intake valves. are there any other problems with a 1995 E300D W124 guys...???

·
Registered
1995 E300 Diesel/1983 240D
37 Posts
I think that car has been for sale for awhile. I bought my 1995 E300D back in late October 2008 (in Chicago), and I recall seeing that car listed in the fall.

If the car has been well maintained, then there shouldn't be not much upfront work to do on the car. Wiring harness can be an issue. Fuel Lines. Try to look for for any oil leaks. Does the car come with service records?

It's a great car. I love driving mine. Made the drive from Ann Arbor to Buffalo and back with 37.5 mpg, and the air conditioning was running for half the drive. Amazing...

·
Registered
94 E320 Sportline sedan 86 190E 2.3 16V sedan 04 S430 Sport
678 Posts
$8995 is pretty steep for this car. Low mileage is a plus, but would pull a CarFax if your serious to be sure this has a clean history. Trunk badging has been removed so either the previous owner wanted a "clean" look, OR this could be a sign of body/paint work. Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
DANGER!!!!! That care is for sale right smack by my house. Could almost walk there... I went in there a while back to look at a BMW 530 Wagon (red) with a 5 speed manual (not a benz, but I was intriqued). Anyway... That particular car was on a lift getting painted! Yes, PAINTED on a lift in a workshop with no protections, etc! All I could see was that all of the lower trim on the right side was taken off, and the right front fender, door, and entier lower side of the car were in primer. Hoping it being simply cosmetic work, I went back, after I picked up a 400E from Auto Outpost across the street, to test drive the Diesel, just to see. It just didn't feel right. I've driven the non turbo 300s and have owned 2 W124 turbo's myself, and this car just didn't feel right. It felt rather tight, too tight - japanese car tight, not Benz solid. Can't quite describe it. I'm thinking it may have been in a good accident at one point. Or, the ODO was rolled back and it has more miles, and they were covering up some funky stuff. They had no carfax, and didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked for one!!! It wouldn't be a bad car for $6k. The engine/tranny was fine, but there was something goofy with the suspension.

Do yourself a favor, go see either Norm, Joe, or Sam over at Auto Outpost just north of Autopoint on Rand. I've bought my last 3 Benzs from them, having just picked up my 400E from them just over a month ago. They really do have some of the nicest inventory. I was a corp trainer for GM, and opened the Grossinger lot across the street. Grossinger looses ALOT of used car business to this tiny little lot! They're a bunch of jokers/old timey guys in there, but always have some VERY nice used german cars on their lot. I know they have a couple C classes right now. They price their cars VERY reasonably as well. Stay away from the Green 540i, it has given them nothing but trouble, and lights up like a christmas tree when started. It's cheap, but has major headache written all over it.

Tell them Aaron with the black Benz sent you over... If they give you a hard time, PM me and I'll meet you there to straighten them out! 8^)

Happy shopping,

Aaron

·
Registered
91' 300SL; 99' SLK 230/Comp; 87' 190E 2.6/5 SM
52 Posts
Check the CAR FAX history, maintenance, accidents, title clear/salvage, number/s of owner from it was first bought, etc.. etc.. I bought a 1991 300 SL with 69,000 miles on it... VERY CLEAN CAR FAX HISTORY, same DEALER DID MAINTENANCE LIKE CLOCK WORK EVERY SIX MONTHS FROM 1991.. Second owner used the same dealer for maintenance..

I test drove it, little vibration on rear tire, and muffler.. I got the car for $8,500.00 after I test drove it.. Listed for $9,999.00.. I boughtt new tires, bracket for the muffler, changed spark plugs (Bosch Platinum 4) and walla, I have a mean machine that's good acceleration and speed.. Good ride too..

Take your time and do your home work..

CAR FAX is worth it when buying a used car..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts