·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an older E320 and have narrowed it down to the following:

2000 57k miles $9k
2002 129k miles $6k
2004 98k miles $14k

2000 and 2002 are in what I would say is "good" condition and the 2004 is in "excellent" condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I went through the same dilema 12 months ago, I think if I had the chance again I would have had all 3 inspected by a qualified person. I went for the cheap option £4000 75k and have done reasonably OK so far. As well as a service (12 spark plugs!) I did the power steering fluid and ATF Change to stop various whines in the Summer, Anti roll bar links and bushes (myself) and one Xenon Headlight (Avoid Xenon if you can). I also bought a MAFF sensor and fitted myself (£160 5 minute job) as the car started stalling (Comman Fault)

My thrust arms creak in the summer but silicon spray quietens them down for a while, not sure if I am brave enough to change them. I have noticed the rear tyres need changing every 8000miles even at slow speeds.

I started off crapping myself at the thought of the cost of keeping this car on the road but have found ways around al lthe fixes so far so sleep a little better now. When the headlight went my local MB Dealer wanted £800 to sort but I ended up spending about £60 on a great permanent fix from ebay.

Needless to say I absolutely love my Merc and cant see me owning another Brand even with all the hassle, Expect £1000 a year budget looking after your Merc and dont mention the fuel! Expect abt 25 mph or 35 on a gentle run on the Freeway!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Edwardsintrl. I will certainly have whichever I choose inspected by a MBZ mechanic. If all appear equal, would you go with older and lower miles or newer and higher miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
E320

Go for the cheapest as these cars depreciate V Quickly (MPG fears!), I have lost £1500 in 12 months on a 2001 car and I expect another £1000 next year. The problems start after 5 years as with all cars and trucks (mileage irelevant). The E320 is a lot of car for the money and dont be afraid to do your research and mend the dam thing yourself! Theres plenty of help out there and you are always welcome to ask me for advise. It does help if you know a garage with a plugin for the CPU to reset the error messages and give you a few clues on the tricky faults. That said, Peugeots and Renaults nowadays are just as tricky and expensive on stuff like headlights and maff faults etc

All the best :)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Service records are key. A 100K miles car that has been taken care of and has documentation would win out over a 60 or 70K car that was spotty or poor maintainance (for me). I would select a car on this basis and ppi that one first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, was going to go with the lower miles until I ran an Autocheck. The sleazy dealer told me clean title and he has Carfax. I ran my own Autocheck just to make sure and it showed salvage title and bent frame. What a POS that dealer is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts