Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on this model. Common problems,etc?

I can (and like) to do mechanical work, but want to avoid any body work.

Looking for an old one since I want to keep it under 15,000. Is this reasonable for a 98/99 in good condition?

Where is a good place to buy? Ebay? Craigslist? Other?

Seems there are quite a few that have been babied (not used in winter here in new england)...

Thanks for any pointers,
Larry

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Amongst the obvious checks, try to find out if the tranny oil/filter has been changed - A high mileage SLK with no change could be a future problem as early on the advice was "lifetime oil"

If you get one from anybody that has used this forum, the chances of care are greater!!

Check roof operation a few times. - Usually reliable.

Don't worry about any console /dash/door handle chips - easily fixable

Oberoi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity, since I am looking at someoler SLKs, how do you repair chips? Paint? Is there a post that explains?
TIA

·
Registered
13 Posts
oberoi said:
Amongst the obvious checks, try to find out if the tranny oil/filter has been changed - A high mileage SLK with no change could be a future problem as early on the advice was "lifetime oil"
When is the transmission fluid and filter supposed to be changed? Is there a rule of thumb for SLKs?

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
brittbolen said:
When is the transmission fluid and filter supposed to be changed? Is there a rule of thumb for SLKs?
M/B and owner's manual says 100k. Most here say every 50k. I just did mine a few weeks back at 82k, and the old tranny fluid that came out was very brown (barely any reddish color to it). That'll tell you that 100k is way too long.

·
Registered
2000 slk230,firemist
154 Posts
paint chips are endemic, chip repair kits are cheap and do a great job, in your area look for 1 owner, 50,000 or less, they are much more sensitive than your standard driver, most problems can be easily handled by a reasonably handy mechanic, when its running right on a warm summers day youll never question why you put up with its quirks, warning! you will get addicted to the "i only wish i had that car" looks you get all day!$15,000 for a 2000 is attainable but youre gonna have to do some looking.

·
Registered
98 SLK230
15 Posts
Hi all, I'm a new SLK owner in sunny California. My SLK is about to reach 100K this year. On average, how much does the dealer charge to have the transmission fluid changed? Secondly, I'm due for an oil change, where do you guys go to buy the oil filters?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Don't know how much the dealer will charge in your area but it's a relatively easy job for the cost of the filter $20US? and Benz oil -about $80-100US?

Bonus - your model has a torque conv. drain which means you can get it all out.

Some good posts on this

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Limited Edition (2007-2009) 2005 CLK320 Cabriolet (2009-Present)
30 Posts
Transmission Fluid

Hey,

I noticed there's a bit of talk of Transmission Fluids here, so I might as well bring this up...

Ok, so before I start, let me say I have an Automatic 2000 SLK230. Sometimes when I drive at slow speeds (15 MPH or below)... my car jerks and feels almost like someone rammed me from behind. A friend of mine who owns an Audi told me he has the same problem, and said it's probably the transmission fluid.

Does this mean it's due for a change? Currently, I'm at 57,000 miles.

Let me know. Have a great Monday everyone! :eek:) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
SLKaina said:
Hey,

I noticed there's a bit of talk of Transmission Fluids here, so I might as well bring this up...

Ok, so before I start, let me say I have an Automatic 2000 SLK230. Sometimes when I drive at slow speeds (15 MPH or below)... my car jerks and feels almost like someone rammed me from behind. A friend of mine who owns an Audi told me he has the same problem, and said it's probably the transmission fluid.

Does this mean it's due for a change? Currently, I'm at 57,000 miles.

Let me know. Have a great Monday everyone! :eek:) :thumbsup:
By most peeps here you are due for a change but dont expect a change in your shift response.. These cars can shift hard at times and it is nothing to worry about just the nature of the car. I would worry more about a soft shift then a hard one.

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Since you have a 2000, could be your s/c has a clutch and is kicking in at the low speed you mention. Pre face lift have a clutch, post face lift do not. But I'm not sure about yours - it's right in between.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks guys for your help. Very helpful! I appreciate it. =)

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Ltd. Ed.
11 Posts
SLKaina said:
Not sure why it would suddenly start exhibiting this behaviour. Mine had this problem when it was new (I also have a 2000) and I complained to the dealer who said it was a common problem and took apart the tranny to do what they called a "transmission upgrade" under the warranty. After that the downshift "bangs" didn't occur anymore. Someone else here might have more info on this process...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The "bang" doesn't bother me too much....it usually happens right when I turn my car on and leave the house (the obvious speed limit is 15)... but once I go about 20+, it seems to be ok. I just hope it's nothing serious, but it appears that many SLKs have this similar problem? Anyway, once I get the car running a bit, and come to a 15MPH zone again, it doesn't jerk like how it did at first. Am I making any sense? Do all of you let your car warm up before you drive it?

:D
thanks for the continuous tips! I really am learning a lot..

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
SLKaina said:
Do all of you let your car warm up before you drive it?

QUOTE]

Benz specifically recommends no warm-up - drive off straight away (pollution and lubrication issues)

Similarly, idling for a long period is bad news.

Oberoi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh good good...yeah I never let my car warm up, I just turn it on and GO! :) ok ok at least I know I'm doing something right...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the prospect.... Comments?

OK, Back to the original theme :) I have found what I think is a good prospect....

1999 silver exterior/black interior..... 36,000 miles in reported, automatic.
"Excellent Condition" not used in winter, garaged.... Private seller.

Looking at it this weekend (would not even look at it at the first asking price
of $17,500, cause I really didn't want to spend over $15,000 and seems like
the going price on ebay from completed listings)

Any comments on if this looks like a good deal?

Any 1999 SLK issues I should know about?

Oh, and should I change the tranny fluid (good to know the torque converter has a drain plug!)

Any other maintenance (brake fluid, other fluids....) If in doubt, I like to be safe... Oh, and what is the best antifreeze for these cars?

I will have to get the maintenance records....

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Tranny change at 50k
brake fluid - 2yrs
coolant 3 yrs - benz coolant - don't mix other brands without total flush

1 - 20 of 22 Posts