Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas,

i am looking to purchase a used 2000 e320 wagon w/ the following details provided by the owner (2nd owner).

Current mileage 103,400

miles repair history
55,350 long block replaced by MBZ due to oil consumption issue
77,359 check engine light on, mass air flow sensor replaced
85,630 interior charcoal filter replaced
95,815 95,000 mile check, rear brake pads, fuel filter, replaced shifter bushing

99,612 replaced front brake pads, A/C check, possible expansion valve problem

103,350 had intermittent check engine light so A/F sensors replaced

my questions are:

1) what major repair/maintenance work is around the corner at 103,000 miles on the odometer? please remember the new engine has about 53k miles on it.

2) what things should i look for? for example, i know the early w210's had blower issues. not sure if MY 2000 had this issue as well

3) how much is typical 15k/30k and 60k svc at independent benz shops?

4) asking price is $9,500. planning to offer ~$9k. Is this a good deal? Am I better off putting this $9k as a down payment on a new car?

5) what are some of the pros and cons of the w210? worth buying used?

thanks and please shoot all info you can share w/ this w210 rookie.

I am located in socal.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Get a Pre Purchase Inspection done FIRST BEFORE you make a offer

Lots of items to look for

Stored DTCs aka Codes is a MUST!!!!!

RUST at the doors/tail gate front spring perch
Trans leaks..control switch / contact plate
Seat frames rock / click
dash cracks
A/C evap temp sensor
cat converters rattle
front lower control arm bushings

Let me know if you need a MB tech to do a PPI for you..He is in the South Bay area

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Depends. At a dealer they will quote you hourly. Shop rate in Cal has to be $150 per hour I would guess. In Utah it's $150 max for however long it takes.

Is it an absolute necessity to have a compression test done on a w210 with 110k miles?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,680 Posts
Is it an absolute necessity to have a compression test done on a w210 with 110k miles?
Compression test will tell you a lot about engine shape. On 4-cylinders I always did it, but it was like 15 minutes job.
On V engines it take some time and never is favorite job for mechanic, or the seller.
Other way to test the engine performance is do 0-60 acceleration time and compare it to factory data.
MB engines are pretty bulletproof, so you are pretty safe on mechanical parts. Electronics are different story.

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic wagon
79 Posts
Check see if the trans has been serviced. If not a 4matic, then $9,000 is a good price for a wagon with only 50,000 on the engine. I think the wagon is the best E320 because it is as big as a full sized SUV in the back and very easy and way better driver than a SUV. take the car to a good Benz shop, let them check it out before you buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you shine some more light on the transmission? i understand there is no dipstick and that factory suggests that no service (fluid change) is needed?

thank you all for the input.

Check see if the trans has been serviced. If not a 4matic, then $9,000 is a good price for a wagon with only 50,000 on the engine. I think the wagon is the best E320 because it is as big as a full sized SUV in the back and very easy and way better driver than a SUV. take the car to a good Benz shop, let them check it out before you buy.

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
can you shine some more light on the transmission? i understand there is no dipstick and that factory suggests that no service (fluid change) is needed?

thank you all for the input.
This was the original recommendation from the factory, but as time went on MB came to realize that the fluid just isn't going to last the life of the car. Now most MB techs seem to recommend replacing the fluid at around 60K miles or so. You can buy the dipstick tools on eBay. This transmission takes a manufacturer specific fluid, and is very sensitive to being overfilled. The fluid has to be at operating temp (80C) in order to get an accurate reading. It isn't as simple as measuring what you drain out and replacing it with the same amount.

If your car has 103000 miles with the original transmission fluid I would be hesitant to purchase it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts