Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone!

i am being influenced by a couple friends to buy a 1998 MB e300 TD sedan from a stealership. this would be my first MB after having the same pontiac for the last 10yrs. i have some questions that they cant really answer for me and i want straight answers from people who have nothing invested in this car.

the car has 155,xxx miles. the exterior is in pretty good condition and the interior looks good too (from what i can see anyways).

what i do know: one owner vehicle, no accidents, not much other info in the carfax.

i have not test driven it b/c i want more basic information first so i know what to look, feel and hear for.

questions:
1. what should i be concerned about for late or future scheduled maintenance for a car at this age/mileage? (suspension, exhaust, timing belt/chain, flushing of this or that, replacing of this or that, etc)
2. what are known problems with this car at this age/mileage?
3. how expensive of a car is this to upkeep in general. consumer reports doesnt go back that far so i dont know what to expect?
4. what would be an honest price?

anything else i should know?

note: i did post this in "new member intros" but didnt get any responses. maybe you folks can help me out.

thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
As a 99TD owner, I think you will love the car. You know their on, because they are noisy(mechanical injection system).

If you ain't a DIYer---make sure the stealer has changed all the glow plugs and all the plastic low pressure fuel lines and SOV o rings, not just the ones you can see, but all of them. Make sure the AC system is in good working order---no faults and have them confirm that!!

No doubt there are some little things that you will have to fix, but that's what the forum is for!!

I have 154K on my 99TD and I do get 33-35 MPG.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
I doubt that the dealership will be willing to service the vehicle and include that in the sales price.

The glow plugs are a big deal but the plastic injector lines are a cake walk.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
One more experience that the plastic lines with orings deteriorate at around 10 years mark. Last time i bought the set it was like $80 at Duval. I didn't replace the one that has metal eye on the end since this one hold.
Some members are reporting nightmares with glowplugs, but my car just turned 210k, where last 40k is under my ownership and I never had the problem.
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
We don't know what state the car is in (Please fill up profile once you become owner) but Ontario members report corrosion issues with cars turning 10 years. Had the spring perches inspected by scraping any bubbling undercoat off and if any doubts -MB is still doing goodwill repairs on those, so dealer should not have a problem to fix it.
I consider this model the best value available in US. Had E320cdi what is even better performer, but the car cost too much money not being driven much. Good power and mentioned 35 mpg. What else you can ask for?

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Rust is a major issue here n the UK. The front spring perch rot and fails. Its costly to replace them, make sure the dealer did look at them properlly. You need to take the protective mastic out to see if there is any rust.
Check for bubbles on the clear lines. If you have some you might need to change the clear line and or the tank strainer that might be clogged.
Make sure you got 2 keys. A key is really expenisive.
The glow plug as stated can be a pain, try to get them change, if you never ask you never get anything :)
Make sure all electronics are working, it can be a pain to find a fault sometimes.
Olivier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

I figured that if i had a reputable independent shop do a complete pre-purchase inspection that i would get a list of everything they would inspect and be able to add to the list. i would be willing to part with a couple hundred dollars just to make sure i'm not going to waste a few thousand.

besides the items previously mentioned in this thread, is there anything else that an inspection should make sure to cover?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
COME ON CHECH. We are talking Mercedes here :D.
On the serious side, I bought several MB thousands miles from home. Would never try that with other brand without having a chance to see it before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts