Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
I'm in the market for a 1994 S 500. If anyone knows where a clean,issue free car is in the NC/SC or Atlanta area(I'm there quite a bit),
with NO TITLE OR TAX ISSUES,I would like to know. I almost got caught up in a shady situation today with an attempted out of state purchase. I will not purchase a vehicle just on someones words or pretty pictures(lesson learned). This is why I am willing to drive within a reasonable distance to see a car. You know what they say,if it sounds to good to be true,it probably is!
Last thing,if a 140 has a production date of 9/95,does that make the vehicle a 1994,or a 1995 or possibly '96 with a production date in late '95. I hope I've made sense,all help will be appreciated.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,691 Posts
For me a vehicle with OBDII is best because here in California mandatory emissions are done every other year for every vehicle. OBDII helps to easily trouble-shoot the car with a generic scanner.
I would watch for body rust-loads of body filler-ie if the paint looks too perfect it has been repainted. Show-up with a refrigerator magnet(soft rubber type), and a piece of tissue. Place the magnet is strategic areas to see if it sticks...

I'm curious what was the Shady experience you went through.

I would do a car-fax and find out what was included with the car. If you take the car to an expert-good mechanic, that would benefit your butterflies. Check the Vin here.
Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN

S500 is more of a robust engine, and the S320 has the head gasket issues. The infamous plastic tee-water fitting will ruin all engines, so I will not buy a Mercedes with head gasket issues.

These cars are getting cheaper as gas prices go up

What does it for me..

I do not want torn seats-cracked leather OK-easy to repair with Leatherique
Straight body-no crashes-I want original paint-not a repainted car
No blown head gaskets.
Electrical problems are OK for me

There are many intelligent people here on this forum that can add to this.

ohh, make sure you try all the transmission gears on a test drive.

Martin

·
Registered
current fleet: 1996 s500; 1997 BMW 328ic; 2000 Nissan Frontier; 1966 AC Cobra
279 Posts
I am curious - why have you specifically targetted a 1994 model year?

Ed in SC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just like the pre-face lift cars. The situation I had was the seller didnt have the title in his name,and when my financial institution wanted the info to get the paperwork started,he said it would be a problem. So now I want to be in a situation where the seller is ready to sell the car with no title issues.And that is just the beginning of the story. Thanks for the replies, I'll wait until the right car comes along.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,691 Posts
Firecaptian,

ohh yea.. No title(no salvage title either), No Car

I bought my car on Craig's list

Martin

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
You should also look at the classified ads in the Star, the magazine of the Mercedes Benz Club of America.Many of the cars are member owned, low mileage, and are being sold because the member has bought a new MB or just has too many.I usually see one or two W140s, just don' t be too fixated on getting a 1994. Mine is a 1993, actually still badged as a 500SEL, but in reality is the S500 body style, and it is a great car.So consider other years. I think that the 1993 and maybe 1994 are actually a slightly different body style ,with higher roofline and heavier weight than the models that followed in the W140 line. Am I correct about this,anybody?

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
It's no taller, but it just looks taller because the way they redid the exterior bodyside moldings in 1995 or 1996, it looked shorter and longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No partictular reason for '94,maybe because its the last before the face lift. Joined the MBCA,waiting on my issue of the Star to arrive. Would love to buy from a club member that really appreciate these cars and have taken care of them the correct way. I know its a needle in a haystack,but I will be patient. I dont buy cars that often,so I tend to look for the best example of what I want.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Wish you were local (Northern VA). I want to let go of the S420 99' (76K miles, white/tan, good condition) for $10,900.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport, 2011 E350 Avant Garde Cabriolet
1,940 Posts
The older ones WERE taller. After the initial introduction MB tried to make them seem smaller and tried to cure the suspension vibration by lowering the suspension 1.5 inches

1 - 10 of 10 Posts