Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im new to this site. Im looking to buy a 01 to 03 Slk 230K.
Is there anything I should look out for... such as recalls or any common problems?
thanks

btw great site, lots of infos:thumbsup:

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Depending on your reasons for wanting a 230 (no offense to anyone, im sorry if i do offend you) I would look at a 320. If youre going with that year model range, the 320 might be a better route.

I say this because the 320 doesnt have a supercharger so you dont have to worry about problems or malfunctions with it, but you also get more horsepower stock with the 3.2 v6 as opposed to a I4 Kompressor. Also, instead of the carbon fiber dash inserts, it has wood grain inserts that look nice. Other than that, theyre essentially the same, but I think for pretty much the same price it's worth it.

If youre worried about gas mileage, dont be. The EPA for highway on the 320 is 26 and 18 for city while the 230 has 29 highway and 20 city but thats not true (not sure why they specified those number). I have taken it on road trips and have gotten 32-34 miles per gallon freeway (going 75-80) and regular driving going to school and work (in traffic) gotten 26 combined. My car has 100k on it, I have not given it a tune-up, its completely stock, and it still gets that gas mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in Canada, but looking to buy in the US.
the 16k slk is a nice one, but I have a 911 same beautiful color and
the Slk is for wifey and she prefer a white or silver one.
320 is about same price but she's not into hp or wood grain trim..so I rather get a newer with low milage for that extra g or two.

Is there any problems with the supercharger on these cars??

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
superchargers on slk's are fine. ive been using mine for so many years now and no problem. heard some story of supercharger breaking down and noises coming out of it from this forum, but here in my counry we have a group of slk club so far we have not encountered such problems:)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
+1 on the 320. With due respect to the 230 owners, the 230 DO seem to more finicky and expensive to run. With the 320, you jut put in gas and go. No funny checkvalves that corrode, no oil in the air intake, etc. Also very low maintenance costs - Plugs replaced only at 100K miles, FSS oil changes at 12K - 15K miles. And yes, 32 MPG is easily reached with the 320. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi guys, Im new to this site. Im looking to buy a 01 to 03 Slk 230K.
Is there anything I should look out for... such as recalls or any common problems?
thanks

btw great site, lots of infos:thumbsup:
I don't know if you like yellow, but I just put my car up for sale on Ebay. It's a 99, but it's in incredible condition. It has a pulley kit, modified MAF, AMG wheels, low dust brake pads, etc. The tail lights have been updated, the transmission fluid/filter and oil/filter were just changed. It runs great and has low miles.

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : SLK-Class (item 260331295615 end time Dec-21-08 17:28:49 PST)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Beautifully presented - well done. I can't believe how cheap they are in the USA. A car like that would sell here for AU$45k - that's at least US$30k, probably more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Beautifully presented - well done. I can't believe how cheap they are in the USA. A car like that would sell here for AU$45k - that's at least US$30k, probably more.
Thanks!

I really don't get why they are selling so cheap. I think they'll start increasing in value over time. It really was an innovative design at the time. Just think of all the cars that have been released in the last ten years that have tried to copy the essence of the SLK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts