Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320; 2003 S500 4Matic; 2004 ML500; 2008 ML350
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just wanted to do my do diligence and verify before I purchase. I'm currently a 99 ML320 owner and with 132K on the clock, she's about at the end of her daily driving usability. I've owned her since ~40 K (about 8 years) and have had no majors problems.

That being said, I've heard the horror stories of the 06's and some 07's. Is it true that Ml500's have less of a chance of having problems? Being limited by other financial responsibilities, I can't shell out major cash for a 09+. So, what feed back can you guys give me? What do you guys think is the best option?

Thanks so much!
SAM

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
You will have to do search on balance shaft issue...It effects partially thru 2007's...This is worst problem...you will find tech bulletin on it as i have posted it few times.

The valve body problem is somewhere between $2500 and $650 to repair depending on what you nego...I don't know when or if a new corrected part was started to be put in...

If it was me I would go shop for one and talk to dealer about these 2 problems...

i guess i forgot to mention then one of the 2 accessory computers went out (called sam's) $700, and one of the door locks and the liftgate lock broke...$200 each, about.

all at less then 80k miles...

·
Registered
2007 ML350
56 Posts
I have owned 3 W193s, '98,'00, & '03. All bought new and each sold before out of warranty. I had many problems with the '98 - first model year of production. Some of those were repetitive. The '00 was better but still there were issues. The '03 had only a few issues but they were more serious (drive shaft, etc).
I currently have a 2007 ML350 bought new. It now has about 49,000 miles on it. Just had first brake replacement, rear rotors were reused. And I have replaced tires, twice. Other than wiper blades and scheduled maintenence, nothing else. Not one issue. I'm going to keep it.
To me it is a much better vehicle in every way.

BillM

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. The problems with the balance shaft and the valve body are the horror stories I've heard about. That's what would make me afraid to purchase one.

Bill- great to hear about your luck with the conversion from the w163 to w164. It's great to get a review from a former 163 owner. I love my car, but it's time to retire her from daily driver. Could you tell a big difference in the switch? Was there a time period of getting used to the w164?

-SAM

·
Registered
2007 ML350
56 Posts
Sam,
Yes, I found the '07 to be much better in almost every way. The rear seat operation is very much better. It is quieter than my '03 and has averaged better mpg ( 17.3 vs 16.6).
After 9 years of driving the W163s it did take me a while to get used to it. I rubbed the curb a few times and didn't adjust to the blind spots right away (of course I am getting older also) but no big problems.
BillM

·
Registered
2010 ML550 Palladium Silver, Black MBTex, P1, Lighting pkg, Trailer Hitch.
96 Posts
.....Could you tell a big difference in the switch? Was there a time period of getting used to the w164?

-SAM
From a driving perspective, the only negative that comes to mind is the increased width of the vehicle (about 2-3 inches I think.)

I actually preferred the rear seats of the W163 but admit you had to RTFM in order to learn how to use them. On the W164 I don't like that you're not supposed to lower the seatbacks without first flipping up the seat (there's a warning about causing seat damage.) In the W163 I could recline the front passenger seatback, flip down the rear seat, and easily fit my kayak inside the vehicle.

You'll get used to the new gear stalk within a couple of days. So much so that I keep flipping on the wipers in the rentals I've had.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill- Thanks for the input! I'm glad there is really no significant changes to get used to. Also glad you're having success with yours so far.

Bruntoj- The new gear stalk had me so confused when I test drove one the other week! Is it true that the front seats don't fold all the way back like the w163's do? I forgot to test that during the test drive.

I noticed that it was wider as well. Does anyone have any problem's fitting it into their garage? My w163 barely fits in with mirrors extended (our 2002 GMC Yukon XL has to have the mirrors folded in). I guess at worst, the mirrors will have to go in...so here's to looking for a P2 package with power folding mirrors!

·
Registered
'11 C300
423 Posts
NEW ML

Just purchased an '06 ML350 with AMG Sport Package, Iridium Silver. 17,500 miles on it. Bought it from local Benz as certified preowned. I love it. I got rid of my '03 ML320 and don't regret it one bit. I had a '99 ML320 prior to the '03. It is larger, about 8 inches longer and 3 inches or so wider so you'll need a little more space in the garage but I didn't have a problem other than having the wife move over a little more when she pulls in. It is a much smoother ride and I love the rear seat operation since we always have "stuff" back there requiring the seats to be up then down then up again. The paddle shifter took me a couple days to get used to and now I'm comfortable with it. I have only had the ML for 5 days but so far no complaints!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi guys!

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just wanted to do my do diligence and verify before I purchase. I'm currently a 99 ML320 owner and with 132K on the clock, she's about at the end of her daily driving usability. I've owned her since ~40 K (about 8 years) and have had no majors problems.

That being said, I've heard the horror stories of the 06's and some 07's. Is it true that Ml500's have less of a chance of having problems? Being limited by other financial responsibilities, I can't shell out major cash for a 09+. So, what feed back can you guys give me? What do you guys think is the best option?

Thanks so much!
SAM
Sorry to hear your 163 is so tired. I gave my last ML(163) to my sister when i bought my current 08 diesel and it has 170k miles on it now and just had new plugs etc and major service and was given a clean bill of health for many more years of driving. I am very happy with my 08 ML and would suggest you go for an 08 and later and Please consider the diesel.The torque of the diesel really enhances the driving exp of the ML

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. I never really thought about getting a diesel since they're so hard to find in my area. I'm hoping to have a new car in my stable by the end of this week/early next week. I've been in talks with a couple local dealers about some CPO 2008s that I've had my eye on. During the test drive, I did notice how much smoother the ride was. My 99 is really a truck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have owned a 1999, 2000 and now a 2008 M-Class. The 08 is a 320 CDI that has been very good. I highly recommend this diesel, it is the last model year without the AdBlu system and is holding its value quite well. Mileage has been about a 50% increase from the 2000 gas version and diesel fuel prices are generally about the same as premium gas. Cold weather (west Wisconsin) has not caused any problems for the diesel, nor did it for our 1978 diesel either.

Good hunting,

Jim W.

·
Registered
2007 ML500
103 Posts
We purchased an 07 ML500 with airmatic 3 months ago. Warranty just expired, but currently no issues. It has a much improved ride and much quieter than our 99 ML430.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts