Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL; 1985 280 G-Wagen LWB; 2009 B-Class Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The wheel bolts for the wheels on my 560 SL (same as wheels below) are getting kind of grungy and I'd like to find some in good shape. Any suggestions as to who (other than MB) I could contact to buy some?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,569 Posts
Those are called "15 hole" wheels, the same ones I originally had on my 560. But, I have so many extra lug bolts that I don't know which ones are what. I know that they come in different lengths. You'll have to do a detailed measurement of the overall length, and the length from the bottom of the ball seat to the end of the bolt.

Or, better yet, check out this site: Lug Nuts Wheel Adapters Spacers Lug Bolts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,069 Posts
Hi

The wheel bolts for the wheels on my 560 SL (same as wheels below) are getting kind of grungy and I'd like to find some in good shape. Any suggestions as to who (other than MB) I could contact to buy some?

Thanks!
Why not MB? The most important part of your car, besides brakes, is what holds your wheel on.
OEM all the way.
The other option are caps for the original "grungy" bolts.
Lug Nut Cover Kits

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Because MB wants over $5 apiece for them and they aren't rocket science.
Bolts in general aren't rocket science, but when we buy bolts (or screws or washers or anything else) for a critical function we put all kinds of clauses on the purchase order to make absolutely sure they're manufactured to required tolerances. I can't think of much that's more critical than holding the wheels on the car. Just my POV.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,595 Posts
I once had a wheel come off the car and pass me. I didn't realize it was mine until the car lost its 3-wheel balance and set down in a shower of sparks.
I wasn't going very fast at the time but it still ranked a 9/10 on the excitement scale.
All the bolts (nuts? I can't remember which; it was a VW Beetle) were in the hub cap.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,870 Posts
The bolts you are looking for are no longer available. If you purchase replacement bolts from MB you will get shorter ones that look stupid. MB discontinued them I heard because too many people overtightened them and got left with a broken stud that was next to impossible to drill out. Attached are pictures of the originals one and an after market chrome one I found. I don't know where I found the after market version.

Attachments

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
You should be thankful you are not in Australia. They are over $11 each here. The OEM supplier for wheel studs is Febi Bilstein. You can buy these from Autohaus for a good price. The 15 hole wheels need studs with approx 40mm of thread below the shoulder. There are two types that have this, there is the origanal ones with the longer shank above the shoulder, 84mm overall length (part number 1244000770) $9.98each, which MB no longer recommend as the shank can break, or the shorter, ones which are approx 61mm in overall length (part number 2034010270) $3.78 each. They do free shipping in the US on order over USD$50 too.

So although I agree with Scott that you should get OEM, I disagree with going to MB and paying a premium for exactly the same item.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
The bolts you are looking for are no longer available. If you purchase replacement bolts from MB you will get shorter ones that look stupid. MB discontinued them I heard because too many people overtightened them and got left with a broken stud that was next to impossible to drill out. Attached are pictures of the originals one and an after market chrome one I found. I don't know where I found the after market version.
John, as you will see from my post (done about the same time as yours), the longer ones are still available. $9.98 each from AutohausAZ. I've had both the short and the long ones on 15 holes wheels, and I really didn't have a problem with the look of the bolt sitting deep in the hole. personal preference really, and there was a good reason the MB stopped recommending them.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Bolts in general aren't rocket science, but when we buy bolts (or screws or washers or anything else) for a critical function we put all kinds of clauses on the purchase order to make absolutely sure they're manufactured to required tolerances. I can't think of much that's more critical than holding the wheels on the car. Just my POV.
I can think of more critical bolts. For example the ones that hold the rotor blade on the helicopter. There is a big nut holding the rotor hub to the main rotor shaft of the helicopter. That nut is generally called the Jesus nut. It is called that because if it ever falls of you say "Oh Jesus!", and then you can only hope to meet him.

When an aircraft bolt has a serial number on it, you can bet they know who made it, and when his last urine sample was taken.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
John, as you will see from my post (done about the same time as yours), the longer ones are still available. $9.98 each from AutohausAZ. I've had both the short and the long ones on 15 holes wheels, and I really didn't have a problem with the look of the bolt sitting deep in the hole. personal preference really, and there was a good reason the MB stopped recommending them.
I have purchased longer ones like you show in the picture but they sat about 10mm below the surface. My originals were flush. As far as having problems I use anti-size and a torque wrench. I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL; 1985 280 G-Wagen LWB; 2009 B-Class Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have included the photo of the wheel in question. I had the wheels redone a few years ago and as you can see, the tops of two of the bolts have come off. Do any of you have photos of the shorter ones in the wheel?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I have purchased longer ones like you show in the picture but they sat about 10mm below the surface. My originals were flush. As far as having problems I use anti-size and a torque wrench. I have never had a problem.
Yes, I must say I agree that if you have half a brain you shouldn't have any problem with the longer ones. I think most of the problems occures with some of the not-so-smart types at tyre workshops.

I wasn't aware that the shanks were different lengths. Interesting.

Regardless though, I think if $5 each is listed as being too expensive, and the preference is for new ones, that kind of rules out the longer studs.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,069 Posts
YOU, Sir, are absolutely correct. My apologies. I am sure Home Depot will have something you can trust to hold YOUR wheels on.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,155 Posts
I think you could find a good supply of these at a boneyard, in need of cleanup and paint, but otherwise OK.

I used chrome caps on my 560SL, it took a little sanding/grinding on the next surface of the bolt head to get everything right, but they look good and won't rust.

My 380SL uses chromed bolts. My 0.02, if you torque these correctly they will not snap off.

Both cars have Harbor freight torque wrenches in addition to a swivel-head breaker bar, an extension, and a 6-point socket. Yeah, maybe this is overkill, but the torque wrench is cheap and accurate enough if you leave it in the loose position when you are done with it; and the tools that came with the car - well, the best that can be said, is that they are, in the fine tradition of manufacturer-supplied accessory tools: crap, only of interest or value to collectors.

I had an example of a destroyed 15-holer wheel, where the top of the bolt had been broken off and the wheel ruined in order to get at it. The above tools are much cheaper and less aggravating.

I also have rubber mallets, because those rear wheels tend to get stuck! I've actually taken off my shoe to do this but it doesn't "look" good. :) Again, not expensive.

I'm not very enthused about the use of never-seize in this area. If you take your wheels off a few times a year and don't overtorque anything, they simply should not get stuck.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
I think if $5 each is listed as being too expensive, and the preference is for new ones, that kind of rules out the longer studs.
You will find used sets on E-bay for about $80.00. Thats about $4.00 a bolt and it will look like the previous picture I posted.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
I have included the photo of the wheel in question. I had the wheels redone a few years ago and as you can see, the tops of two of the bolts have come off. Do any of you have photos of the shorter ones in the wheel?
Other bolts of the 1980's also had removable caps. They may still be available from MB or not such a premium as the 107 bolts used. I got a set of bolts for $25.00 they were short but I was able to steel the caps from them. If I recall they were from a 300E.

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,569 Posts
I believe these are made for a 560 15 hole 'flat' wheel. Check it out, as they are only $1.89 each:

Ball seat style 12mm x 1.50 threads lug bolts. The hex size is 17mm. The shank thread length is 39mm and the overall length is 95mm. These lug bolts used on late Mercedes 560 series flat faced style factory alloy wheels. Visit our application guide page for any application related information

Lug Nuts Wheel Adapters Spacers Lug Bolts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Star magazine just did an article on poor quality after market bolts. Its worth reading.

·
Registered
They breed in my driveway.
1,099 Posts
FYI, the same stud on 107 15-hole, 126 15-hole and 129 16x8 15-hole(square hole)
95mm overall length. 40mm thread
like this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts