Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I am brand new here. Just got a new-to-me 1994 E320 yesterday.

I love this car so far, but I need to push the pedal half way to the floor to begin to get any throttle response. It also does not seem to want to shift to third easily under light to moderate acceleration.

I am thinking if I just adjust the throttle cable, I will then find out if the bowden cable needs any adjustment - but I think I need to set the pedal correctly as the first step.

I was looking for a thread that has the correct procedure for this, but my searches have not been too successful.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Oh, one more thing - the car has a bit of a rumble/vibration when in gear while stopped, but not in Park or Neutral. RPMs look ok, would you think I should be looking at the tranny or engine mounts if I want to improve this?

·
Registered
1994 E320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is useful information. I am sure I will get to that point soon.

My question is actually more basic.

The throttle cable has a LOT of slack from the pedal to where it connects to the linkage assembly. I want to start here and then find out if any more adjustment is required. The linkage assembly itself looks fairly tight and is well lubed.

The plastic adjusting screw at the linkage end does not seem to be functional any more. It may be stripped - it turns but does not seem to have any up/down movement in relation to the bracket. Is this where I want to adjust the cable slack any way? or should I be adjusting it at the adjusting nut under the dash above the accelerator?

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
On the M103 you adjust the cable slack at the engine end of the cable with the plastic screw. You can see the threads and if the screw is already all the way out there maybe another problem like a stretched cable. Unlikely, but possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts