Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 1300L UNIMOG
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mounted an aux air tank for air ride seats and a train air horn. I will not be towing any trailers, so I thought I'd use the RED palm coupling line (glad hand) to provide air to the aux tank. I've removed both rear couplings and their respective air lines back to the distribution point that's mounted near the rear differential. There is a third small line that was connected to the red side palm coupling that terminates at a different point. What is that for? and can I eliminate? What's the best way? Here is where I'm not sure how to proceed. I thought about removing the metric fitting from where the line compression fitting is connected (yellow side) and get a metric plug to replace the removed fitting or somehow cap it. Is there a better way to block it. I'd also run a new line (red side) from it's metric compression fitting at the same distribution fixture to a metric compression - NPT fitting on the aux tank. Or would it be better to just change the metric fitting at the distribution fixture with a metric to NPT fitting, if such a fitting exits and run appropriate NPT compression fittings to the aux tank. Educate me, I lack the knowledge of what's available in metric fittings and metric to NPT adaptors that will work with what's there. Help would be appreciated,I really don't want to screw up the brake system.

·
Registered
MERZ-1997-U-1350 LM Belgian Troop truck 366A-fast. axles-Binz Engine 220 HP HP upgrade in Nederlands
697 Posts
You may want to reconsider leaving the glad hand couplers--they allow your brakes to function when truck is disabled as to no air compressor. The glad hands from another rig allow your truck to have emergency brakes charging the disabled system. Or allow the emergency brake to be disengaged if there was no compressor air source from dead engine.---Food for thought.
You could still plumb in an extra air tank and leave the glad hand circuit.
TLane

·
Registered
1985 1300L UNIMOG
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terry, you make a good point. Something I hadn't even thought about. Can I leave just the red coupling functional for emergency use or does it take both couplings to charge the tanks from another vehicle.
I had looked through the archives and there are several good examples using the existing couplings. Thanks for the links TKV. However, I need to move and or eliminate the originals as I need that area for some of the camper components. I could re-locate the red coupling, and tee that line to feed the aux tank. If I can eliminate the yellow coupling altogether, any suggestions on how to plug or cap it at the distribution point.
Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts