Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
(W163) 2005 ML 350 2002 ML 500 1999 ML 430
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’m looking for this style OEM Bull Bar that you have to drill two small holes into the bumper and then cover it with the rubber covers. I’ve only been able to find one on eBay in Italy for about $800 shipped.

Thank You!

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,270 Posts
bossjj I’m looking for this style OEM Bull Bar that you have to drill two small holes into the bumper and then cover it with the rubber covers. I’ve only been able to find one on eBay in Italy for about $800 shipped. ---- [URL unfurl="true said:
[/URL]
Thank You!
You are referring to the OEM Bull bar.

Good members wallyo or demichae may be able to assist you.
GL.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.26.54 PM.png

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
264 Posts
I believe the brush guard is different for 98-01 than for 02-05. I rarely see the 02-05 ones (that attach through holes in the bumper) but I'll keep my eye out. The downside is the they are so heavy that shipping would be very high, and they are kind of a pain to remove.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
I believe the brush guard is different for 98-01 than for 02-05. I rarely see the 02-05 ones (that attach through holes in the bumper) but I'll keep my eye out. The downside is the they are so heavy that shipping would be very high, and they are kind of a pain to remove.

Demichae Thanks for the reminder! As you said I have never seen the later either, maybe once but it was shashed up due to to drivers side corner impact so paid no attention to how it was mounted.

The one i have attaches to the frame via a through bolt on one side and a clamp on the other that goes around the frame.
There is also a flat bar that attaches the upper bar to the upper frame going through the grill.

I am assuming the earlier bar will fit a later ml, but not the reverse due to change in bumper style?

·
3,270 Posts
For the visually challenged, like myself.
I see subtle differences only.
How do they differ for fitment?

oem bull bars w163 before after 2000.jpg

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
Sorry mine is packed up in a shipping box so I have no access but my photos. It came off an ml with side steps that had MB logos. Another member was familiar with the style so I have been thinking it is a MB bar.

As I said it has a full skid plate.

·
3,270 Posts
lol- I have one of those skid pads too, I picked up. I dont know why - heavy buggers - like going grocery shopping and side tracking over to the chips aisle just for good measure.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,777 Posts
lol- I have one of those skid pads too, I picked up. I dont know why - heavy buggers - like going grocery shopping and side tracking over to the chips aisle just for good measure.
Do you have the bar or just the plate? Whole package weighs about 55 pounds

·
3,270 Posts
Plate only

·
3,270 Posts
Mine is OEM from a 2000. It doesn’t have the supports going through the bumper like the one OP is looking for. A few photos of my ML and the cover of the 2000 catalogue. .....
No mounting holes on the backside of the bull bar (for the support bar)?
Interesting. I'm wondering if these were then stealership installed vs factory installed.
And just maybe the dealership didnt bother doing a full factory install (surmising...)

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
264 Posts
No mounting holes on the backside of the bull bar (for the support bar)?
Interesting. I'm wondering if these were then stealership installed vs factory installed.
And just maybe the dealership didnt bother doing a full factory install (surmising...)
I’ve never come across a 98-01 with the holes in the bumper. Here’s another shot from the catalogue ...no holes here either. (Those PIAA fog lights were $289 for pair: “grille guard” was $500 for chrome, $450 for black and side bars were $485 for chrome pair, $410 for black.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,811 Posts
All of these later pictures of the brush guard are the same offering I have on my 99 Ml430. They were a dealer installed item and I ordered these on my original invoice along with the factory W163 front/rear mudfllaps. So Atlanta Classic Mercedes called me in late October/98 and told me my ML had arrived, but it would be a few days before I could take delivery. Said it was due to the options being installed.
SO, of course I headed over there the next day, and got a chance to see my baby and made sure they had everything taken care of. The service guys were scratching their heads over the mudflaps.....I think this was the first set they had installed. I've got to say up front, I've been a car nut since day one, but the W163 really pushed my buttons.....Been a love affair ever since with very few problems along the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts