Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't get my integrated analog/non-fiber optic phone activated on my '98 SLK, I've decided to deinstall it and install a Motorola hands free kit for my V60i (non-Mercedes phone). I'm hoping to be able to use the speaker and microphone that are already installed.

Anyway, I'll be pulling out the in-dash control unit which fits in the space to the right of the ashtray. It looks like there is a small storage box that can be installed in its place. As a newbie to the SLK, I don't know where to get parts like these. Can anyone help me out? I know I can probably go to the dealer but I'm a little scared of finding out how much it would cost.

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I checked but it mikbox only works on '99s and later that have the fiber optic set up. My setup was one year too soon!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
It's not listed on my parts list (there are a lot of parts not listed). Good luck at the dealer.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not #4, but close. I pulled up the instructions on how to phones were installed in a '98 and the space to the right of #4 is filled by a plastic cup, container, something like that. When the in dash controller of the phone is installed, that little cubby hole is popped out and the indash controller is put in its place.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I think the cubby hole you want is on the right side of number 4. I found it now in my parts list, part number 170 680 14 52 ($137 but this is an old price list), that is for a 98-99. For a 00-03 the part number is 170 680 23 52, listed at $845 [:0].

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOLY COW! I might as well just buy a new car!

I guess I better make sure I don't mess anything else up when I pull that thing out!

·
Registered
01 Silver 320 Sport
41 Posts
are you looking for #4 from the illustration? $155 at my dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silver Sporthttp://
slkpwr...
I need #4 because the cover is off the coin holder on this assembly but my dealer is telling me that this part is $600+. Can you verify the $155 is for the whole assembly? Does your diagram list the part# for this item?
TIA
-Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 1998 Motorola / Mercedes-Benz phone can still be activated. Try ConsumerCellular (located in Portland, OR) for a plan. They resell nationwide analog airtime. They can guide you through the keypad sequence to get the ESN of the phone.

The replacement bezel/trim for removal of the in-dash Integrated Phone is indeed $180-something; the coin drawer/ash tray is also replaced when the storage cup replaces the dashboard phone panel, and although you'd think a simple cup would slide in to replace the unit, the ash tray is also replaced with the storage cup.

The fiber-optic system (a year later, I believe) had the Integrated Phone built into the radio itself, so that lower, separate phone unit wasn't necessary. Why wouldn't a MY 1999 ashtray/storage cup from a salvage yard fit?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I can't help with changing systems.

However, I was able to get my analog phone activated with CINGULAR. If you have not changed it yet, try dialing any number, it should tell you that your are not a recognized user and tell you a number to call to activate the phone. That is what I did and it worked for me.

Sorry to be late with the info...

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys but I already pulled the OEM phone. I did manage to get the ESN for the phone and called everyone: cingular, verizon, etc. and no one would activate a new account for it since it was analog.

So, I purchased a Motorola handsfree kit and installed it. Mic is in the same place as the OEM mike. Speaker is located passenger side under dash near the OEM speaker. I did have the phone (non-Mercedes V60i) on a mount but didn't like it cluttering up the interior so I now have the phone cradle coming out of the center console storage area where the old handset was located. I don't make a lot of calls from my car so this is ok. Incoming calls are answered automatically and the radio mutes. Outgoing calls I just pull out the phone in the cradle (I left enough cable so I can do this) and dial, then stick it back in the armrest. Seems to work fine for me now especially since I can still use voice dialing.

As for the handsfree black box that controls all this, I put it where the little in-dash storage cubby hole next to the ashtray would have been and then created a panel using black simulated leather over a piece of cardboard to cover it all up. Looks pretty good if I don't say so myself.[:D]

Now on to installing the Omnifi DMP1....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts