Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been spending some time on a few things and thought I would solicit comments. Don’t worry you can be brutal it won’t hurt my feelings. I simply need to know if I am missing some odd thing. Also a few of you can really spot things so.... My car is not a trailer queen and I usuallt put about 7,500 summer miles on it so there is some dirt I have to live with. I hope to do the wheel wells like slownrusty but not sure of a color. That is later and when I send the outside photos. I purposely have not taken outside pictures since I am waiting for the rear Lorinser bumper to come back from the painters. For a couple of you that know these, the odd wiring in the engine bay is the relay system suggested bt Daniel Stern. You can see the relays on the inner fenders Also, while the car has been painted, not the engine bay. It is original and how I got it. I did do things to the engine when I did the heads. Thanks to all and hope everyone is safe.

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,527 Posts
Jeeze Louise, I wish mine were as nice. Really!

I really like what you have accomplished here, John.

Anything I might see is sooo minor..

M

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,494 Posts
I only have three comments.

1. Engine bay looks fantastic.
2. I'd suggest changing that transmission dipstick for a factory one.
3. What's with the Gen 2 rear (diagonal) side panels but Gen 1 on the front doors?

Really great looking engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
I actually have the gray parts you'd need that luckymike is talking about - if you wanted your rear panels to match (the perforated bits). Shoot me a DM or email if interested :)

I don't think those are exclusively Gen 1 - they didn't do the diagonal until 1989 I think?

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well those were a test👍 Actually at the time it was all i could find and yes Brian send me a note. The other thing that was pointed out was the air cleaner needs the correct nuts. Thanks to all its getting real close.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,527 Posts
I second the factory transmission dipstick suggestion....

It's s'posed to be red.

;)

Stay safe all.

M

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couple of things taken care of.

1) Correct nuts on the air cleaner
2). Correct panels on the rear trim. I did not put the on since I knew taking the other ones off I would destroy the little rings holding them on. When I redid the interior I found a pristine set of my 90 and simply used them. So today that is corrected.
Now I need to get shock tower covers and some black tie wraps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
I think your car looks great.

A small item that makes a difference is the red plastic in the seatbelt buckle. Most are faded and whiteish, which ages the vehicle. Good, bright red, replacements (or plastic paint) make a noticeable difference.

I like your valve covers, but the shiny black paint you used on the power steering fluid reservoir lid clashes with the matte crinkle paint. I'd paint them both with the same matte black crinkle paint.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,494 Posts
As long as you're really sweating the details, what about the little hole at the right hand end of the secondary firewall seal? Looks like you had a little nibbling going on there. We've got similar marks on some of the wiring harnesses in our SEL.

I think this part is still available but if not, I'll bet you could stick a piece of electricians or gorilla tape inside as backing then carefully fill the hole with black silicone.

Or maybe the seal is reversible? Just turn it around and reinstall.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,535 Posts
Stutz, I think a CIS-E car in such a nice condition as your SEC is worth being equipped with a crafted On-Board KE-Jetronic Diagnostic Device along these lines:

Turns the ashtray into a really useful thing and saves a lot of troubleshooting time. It enables you to check/diagnose a number of things during red phases at traffic lights & during driving … and to impress knowledgeable passengers. ;) ;)

H.D.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all today for their comments! fixed the white tie wraps, ordered the shock locks, changed the cruise control unit (did not fix it) put new nuts on the air cleaner, redid the back trim pieces, fixed the hole in the firewall, will paint the seat belt middles release buttons (again) and cleaned a little more. I think I am done with underhood items!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok second chance at the Apple So to speak. First thanks first for all the underhood and interior comments. Yes I changed the white zip ties to black! And ordered the shock tops etc.... and installed the correct rear 1/4 panel trim. But here are pics of the outside and have at it. I know I need a new front windshield, and chrome trim around the back. Each are a bear to do. I also need to find a way to get the dog ears closer On the front but thats about all I see. This will never compare to a 30,000 mile original but I can get close. So let the “games” begin. ps. I am not interested in personal preferences like color but stuff you see incorrect or odd. You all have different looks and I value your opinions.

As an aside I do have a AMG trunk spoiler which I am having mounted on a spare trunk lid. When I get that I will show a before and after pic. BTW I have HR springs with B-8 shocks. Wheels are AMG pre merger with ET of 11 on 17” tires .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, over the last few years I have seen people with exceptional eye for detail look at pristine examples and see items I would not. You are one that misses very little. Me, well lets just say I am the “damn the torpedoes full speed ahead type and will often miss the details. When I posted the engine I got a lot of little things I simply did not see. So I was just trolling again I guess. I also have time and want to do things on the car so when I do take it out it shines

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,494 Posts
Haha! Okay. It looks fantastic to me in your pics.

I will agree that the rear window chrome is difficult but the front, in my experience, is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC, 2005 E500, 1988 300SEL
28 Posts
The 560 SEC emblem on the trunk lid should be positioned closer to the chrome trim. Otherwise, it's a great looking car. Just wondering if it is a Euro model or U.S. model with Euro lights and bumpers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts