Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new axles for my 1981 TD and I'm working on a college student budget. So I've been searching and was surprised to find rebuilt axles on this page for under $45.00 each. Mercedes 300TD Axle - Drive Axles - First Equipment Quality A1 Cardone - 1985 1982 1984 1987 1983 1980 1981 1979 85 82 84 87 83 80 81 79 - PartsGeek.com Sure they may not be top of the line and last 200,000 miles but I'll definitely have a lot more dough 100,000 miles from now and theres always the possibility I wont even have the car by then. So is this the real deal, a scam or something else?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I need new axles for my 1981 TD and I'm working on a college student budget. So I've been searching and was surprised to find rebuilt axles on this page for under $45.00 each. Mercedes 300TD Axle - Drive Axles - First Equipment Quality A1 Cardone - 1985 1982 1984 1987 1983 1980 1981 1979 85 82 84 87 83 80 81 79 - PartsGeek.com Sure they may not be top of the line and last 200,000 miles but I'll definitely have a lot more dough 100,000 miles from now and theres always the possibility I wont even have the car by then. So is this the real deal, a scam or something else?
You need to go back and read the Ads more closely. From what I saw the CVJ and Cardone Axles were the rebuilt ones.
When you get Rebuilt Axles there is going to be a Core Charge.
That means you need to return you old Axle to them to get some money Back.
If you buy rebuilt Axles on the Internet that means you are going to pay shipping to return the old Axles to the Seller.
It also means that if you have a warranty someone is going to need to pay to ship the defective Axle back to get the Warranty.

The New Asian Made Axles.

There is 2 styles of Axles. One style is Homokinetic. The Homokinetic Axles look similar on each end and have what I call 2 Cans on the Ends.

The other Axles are Annular Axles. The Annular Axles on the Side where they go into the Differential has 6 or so Bolts that go through it. On the New imported Asian made Axles these Bolts have been know to come loose in as little as on month of driving.

The Homokinetic; 2 Can type Axles don't have that issue because there is no Bolts on them.

Both of the Asian Made Axles may or may not have issues with fitment in the Splines on the Shaft ends or in the Machined area where they go into the Differential (sometimes the Stock Spacers do not fit and need to be machined or otherwise made to fit).

I bought Cardone Rebuilt Axles 4+ years ago. While the innards of the Axles have caused me know issues several Months ago I found that the Boots were Cracked.
However, your local parts store may sell the Cardone Rebuilt Axles. That means no shipping charge to return the Old Core Axles and it also mesa if you have a warranty you can exchange them locally.
If they have a life time warranty and you saved the Paper Work I think you could exchange the Axles for another set if the Boots Crack 4 years from now.
(I have no idea what I did with my paper work and decided just to put new boots on my otherwise good Axles.)

When you pull the Axles out of the Differential Housing there may be Spacers (Washers). The Spacers stay with the Differential and are used to adjust how far in the Shaft end goes into the Differential.
What ever Axles you get they may or may not need a different thickness of Spacer; but, be sure to retain the originals.

IMPORETED AXLE PROBLEMS
GSK Axles - NOT WORTH IT, no matter how low the price - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
You will fine a lot more info on axles below:
Repair Links
DIY Links by Parts Category - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Another Comment.
If you absolutely have to buy any of the Asian made Axles I due to the warranty issue get them from a local Auto Part Store or NAPA. It may seem like it costs more but there will be no shipping involved and you have an actual Person on the other side if the Counter that wants your retrun business to deal with.

Also if you are lucky enough to have the Real Mercedes Annular Axles it is not too hard to change the Boots on them if that is the only problem you are having.
(I have Homokinetic Axles on mine but some of the same year and model have the Annular Axles.)
Hopefully some other Forum Members will also comment.

·
Registered
'85 Mercedes 300 D Turbo Diesel
284 Posts
I got mine through "auto Zone", they were like $125.00 a piece with lifetime warranty...they are so easy to change I won't mind doing it again in about 10 years when these wear out...:D

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo and 1985 300D Turbo
84 Posts
Also if you are lucky enough to have the Real Mercedes Annular Axles it is not too hard to change the Boots on them if that is the only problem you are having. (I have Homokinetic Axles on mine but some of the same year and model have the Annular Axles.)
Hopefully some other Forum Members will also comment.
A timely thread, for me.

This weekend, one left axle boot started leaking, and it looks like the right side will soon follow suit.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
A timely thread, for me.

This weekend, onelLeft axle boot started leaking, and it looks like the right side will soon follow suit.

If your Axles have not been making a lot of noise for a long period of time you might consider filling them with Grease and re-booting them.

{Note: you cannot re-boot your Axles with the Stock style of boots unless you have the Annular type Axles.
With the Homkinetic Axles you need a Hydraulic press to take the axles Aparte and re-assemble them if you use the Stock Boots.

With the Astoria Flexx Boots and the Dorman Boots you are stretching the Boots over the end of the Axle to install them and they are made to do that. That Stock Boots cannot be stretched like that.}

My thread is not the best on the Subject but I did the re-booting job within the past several months.
CV Boot Installation Problems with Dorman Pneumatic and Cone type Boot Installation - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the best way I can describe the condition of my axles.
My axles don't make noise that can be heard while driving yet since I've been greasing them regularly but I feel a shudder during heavy acceleration in 2nd and 3rd. However, while the car was on jack stands I crawled under with it in drive and with the wheels turning and heard a fairly light clunk from the driver side axle. (other wheel didn't turn much, probably brake drag) It may have just been the unusual and extreme angle the axle was in but the axle was moving about 3mm towards and away from the differential; didn't seem too concerning. I have to re-grease because the grease slings out at high speed since all the boots are completely split in half. One boot is completely removed because it self-destructed on the highway.

If they still sound fairly usable then I'll happily reboot and stuff them full of this synthetic Valvoline grease I just got. How viable an option is this given the state of the axles?

PS: The Benz dealer seems very confused about my rebooting request. How did you all have it done?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
This is the best way I can describe the condition of my axles.
My axles don't make noise that can be heard while driving yet since I've been greasing them regularly but I feel a shudder during heavy acceleration in 2nd and 3rd. However, while the car was on jack stands I crawled under with it in drive and with the wheels turning and heard a fairly light clunk from the driver side axle. (other wheel didn't turn much, probably brake drag) It may have just been the unusual and extreme angle the axle was in but the axle was moving about 3mm towards and away from the differential; didn't seem too concerning. I have to re-grease because the grease slings out at high speed since all the boots are completely split in half. One boot is completely removed because it self-destructed on the highway.

If they still sound fairly usable then I'll happily reboot and stuff them full of this synthetic Valvoline grease I just got. How viable an option is this given the state of the axles?
PS: The Benz dealer seems very confused about my rebooting request. How did you all have it done?
I thought it was a recent occurrence.
Evidently you have been driving them awhile like that so you lost that window of time where there was a 95% or better chance that you could re-greased and rebooted Your Axles and had no problems.

I am trying to post some pics so you can see how much CV Joint Grease would need to go into the Joint to keep it from being starved for lubrication. And when I did mine beyond what is in the Pics I also packed Greas into the Boots theselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
there is a company called raxles down near me in gainesville. I had inquired about my passat but sold it before I switched. I don't remember if I heard about them on a MB board or VW board (in which case they might not have them for W123)

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
It is not the company who is selling the Axles that is the issue; it is the quality and the control of that quality.

For a person who does it themselves taking a chance on the cheap Axles is not a big issue compared to someone who had to pay to have them changed by Mechanic and then a month or year down the Road has to pay a Mechanic again to replace them.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,156 Posts

You need the special flexy boots to do this operation. When I did the operation to my last CD, I simply replaced them so I don't know the specifics. Love this video, though.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Any thoughts on fitting an old 240d's parts to a 1981 TD?
In theory they are supposed to be interchangable.
However, a few part sites show different lengths of Axles so for me that confuses the issue.
In the case of my 84 300D Auto Zone showed 2 rebuilt Axles, one 26 something inches and one 24 something inches.
Yet when I bought my Axles at what was then Kragens Auto Parts I bought both the same part number of Rebuilt Axles.

The length of the Axles is measured with the Axle Joints compressed towards the Center.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts