Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So knowing everything you know now...would you buy a GL-450 again? I'm considering buy used. What say you? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would buy used GL-320 2008 and up or GL550 2008 and up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
New I'd get the 350 and used the 450 due to cost alone. Yes, it has been a great vehicle for my wife and their isn't much in it that I could improve upon save the driver's seat should go all the way back like my E when I shut it off.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I bought my 450 used "Certified Pre-owned" from a Benz dealer and was able to get the extended warranty coverage up to 100K miles. I would do it again.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a used 2008 GL550 two years ago.. had 22K on it .. now I have 45K.

I had the notorious steering rack issue (MB has a bulletin out on this) and with my last service, I had a rear shock replaced.

other than that.. the car is awesome... I live in Brooklyn and drive everywhere.. in town, I get 9-13 mpg.. on the highway run to my beach house.. I can get 20 averaging 55mph. I once did not reset the meter for 6K ... the average mpg was 16.7 mpg... not bad for a beast!

I would not buy a 450 ... the active suspension alone in the 550 is enough reason as it makes the car handle sooo much better than the 450.

the downside is that the 550's wheel/tire combination does not give you a big selection of tires... nor are the conti's that come on the truck actually all season... they are more summer.

pm directly if you'd like to talk further.

cheers,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well 450 V8 have many expensive engine issues you can see it here on the forum.
450 is the only car that you can get with OFF road package but heard from service tech to many problems with it.

320 CDI had issues only in 2007 model year.
I had 2008 GL 320 CDI 92000km 2 years and 9 months 0 issues car drive on rought remote roads and in deep winter. Great for towing.
I have 5500 pounds boat plus trailer amazing towing experience.
Hold value much more than any gas version.
Fuel consumption is amazing in 120 km/h on cruise control 8.9l per 100kms.
My record was 1150 kms on one tank and there was still fuel left in tank.

GL 550 has more options included but I can see now some people are starting to have some problems here and there as well.
Fast car but premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well 450 V8 have many expensive engine issues you can see it here on the forum.
450 is the only car that you can get with OFF road package but heard from service tech to many problems with it.
I see just the opposite on the forum. Many more 320 owners posting engine related problems. I've got over 100,000 on my 450 without any issues.

·
Registered
354 Posts
GL is one the best SUV on the market the whole package is amazing but you have to expect that if something goes wrong repair might be costly specially at authorized dealer.
Its well worth to have the extended warranty or at least try to get it included from the dealer. We purchased our second GL last year after lease was expired because I like the new features included in the car that were not available before in Canada.
At least in Canada on Autotrader you will be able to buy GL 450 V8 cheaper than diesel version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts