Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Mercede 300te 4matic
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my alternator is done on my 300 te 4 matic. Looking for another hopefully at an afordable price. (why do these things always die when you have tons of Christmas shopping to do?) if anyone has one to get rid of or any ideas I would appreciate the help! Thank you!!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
How do you know it's the alternator that has failed? Seized bearing? Most of the time it's the voltage regulator that fails. Not expensive and dead simple to change. Held on the back of the alternator with two phillips screws. By the way, alternators are not specific to 4matic's. Any M103 alt will fit.

Fully charge your battery. Start the car and put a volt meter on the battery. If you are getting less than 13.4V, change the regulator. $40 at NAPA, less online.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
W124
5,152 Posts
I just sourced one last evening from Pep Boys. A few years back I bought one with a Lifetime Warranty from them for $121. It failed and although as Jayare says it is probably a simple regulator problem I took it back under their warranty. They didn't have one for a 300E but did for a 300TE/300CE (different part number but same connections and mounting points) Maybe there is an amperage difference between the two, although the regulator on the failed and on the new one for the "TE/CE" is the same part number!?*

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
As indicated in previous posts, unless it's making noise or has really deep grooves worn in the rotor slip rings, a new regulator will most likely fix it. The last one I bought was $14 and it takes five minutes to change it.

If a regulator will fix it, that's a much better alternative than replacing a factory alternator with a low quality auto store rebuilt.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
No, it was not a Bosch, but I used several of them for that price as of about three years ago. I don't remember the brand, but they worked out well. Most any of the online parts suppliers have the different brands. I have never had any trouble with the cheap German brand ones.

This is an item that is not much more than a couple of brushes and a power transistor. It doesn't have to have a pedigree.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts