Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrecked my beloved 1984 300D this past weekend and need to make the agonizing decision as to whether to fix or scrap (separate posting).<br> <br> My mecahnic is talking me into buying a 1988 300TE. The chasis has 92k miles, but he replaced the engine with a 70k mile engine because the original engine's timing chain broke. Car looks OK--dash is badly cracked, wood on console is also cracked, but the rest of the interior looks good--just a little bit dirty (nothing seems broken/missing). Body looks very straight; only a few dings; corners of bumpers are 'rubbed'; paint looks vy good and all original. Tires are good. Rides/stops well. <br> <br> What are the *gotchas* on these types of cars? What should I look at before buying? Is $5k a fair price? What are the normal maintenance procedures and costs? Are they as reliable as a 300D? Ride? Insurance? Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks.<br>

·
Registered
MB 300D, 1988
2 Posts
I just bought an 1988 300 D that is nearly perfect except for the blower fan only works in the 3rd and 4th speed. Also ned to replace the broken pillar pieces at the front widshield. I need the black leather one. If you decide to part out your car and have what I need, please let me know.
The 300TE sounds like a risky buy but you have to trust your mechanic. I saw replacement wood parts on eBay and a set of pictures on how to replace a dash, assuming you can find one.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts