Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i'm new to this forum and Mercedes ownership :) so i want to ask some questions,well first i want if its's possible to get a manual for this car because when i bought the car it came with nothing i don't even know what spark plugs to buy or oil for that matter so a owners manual or even better a workshop manual would be great the car has the M111 engine from what i was able to research on my own but no luck finding a manual for this.
Second thing is now that the winter has come there is a lot of steam from the pipe and i mean a lot when backing up i can't see anything i don't know why,when the temperature outside was warmer i didn't really notice anything but shill i fear a blown head gasket not only because of the steam from the pipe but some coolant went missing about 2L or less and i didn't see any leaks on the ground so yeah.
The third thing is a slightly rough idle i think this might be because of the spark plugs but then again without a manual i don't know what brand to buy.
The car is equipped with GPL gas.
(I'm not a native english speaker so please excuse my please excuse my mistakes 馃槃)

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Well, if your car is loosing coolant, you could first start where from. You could get the car pressure tested to determine where the coolant is leaking from. If coolant is coming out from the tail pipe it should be detectable (smell, chemical analysis, etc.). Regarding the workshop manuals, you should be able to buy a CD from EBay or similar. I would not worry about the plugs without knowing if the car has a blown head gasket or not. If so, spark plugs would be the least of your problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I think a pressure test to the coolant reservoir will tel me if i lose coolant or my gasket is bad no ?

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
It will tell you where the system is losing coolant, if visible. It can be into the cylinders (intake or exhaust side). You need yo remove the plugs and check for coolant on top of the pistons (with a borescope). You could get your coolant checked for contamination too. You need to watch the coolant temperature, and bubbles in the cooling system when the engine is warmed up.

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
Steam coming out of exhaust when the car is in a cold climate is a very common thing -- nothing to worry about. It's a common byproduct of the MB engine running.

Now....are you actually losing coolant? If you are, then checking for a bad headgasket would be a good idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Steam coming out of exhaust when the car is in a cold climate is a very common thing -- nothing to worry about. It's a common byproduct of the MB engine running.

Now....are you actually losing coolant? If you are, then checking for a bad headgasket would be a good idea.
I replace the missing coolant and now i'm waiting to see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts