Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new here but lurking for some time allready;-)
I was wondering which is the most desirable year for this bodystyle. My main concern is reliablity. I thought about the 320 post facelift (02) mainly because I figured the drivetrain has less torque to fight with (if it's same between 320 and 430 or 500).
This would be my first mb, I know there may be more reliable (less complex out there) but that's what the wifey wants:-(

I am mechanically inclined, will try and do as much as I can with a good service manual (any source to get one printed or cd?)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maintenance manuals are available for download here:

Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class - Service and Parts - Maintenance Manuals

A lot of the members use EPC net to locate part numbers, membership is free however valid credit card information must be provided.

EPC-net Online

For any issues you might encounter a quick search should suffice.

You may also want to browse through Boca's New Member's guide, it has a ton of information as well as some buying tips and things to watch out for:

Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W163 M-Class

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply very usefull indeed, exactly what I was after
for the spares, is there a preffered source?
e-bay, rockauto, pelikan?
thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Matt for the link to the maintenance manual.
Where could I find a factory service manual? Are them available both cd and paper?
Thanks again

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
The "Factory manual is "WIS" and is electronic. You have to contact Mercedes about
getting a legitimate version.

There is a consumer DVD from MB for about $130-150 that a lot of places sell. Product code/part # T270016305

·
Registered
70 Posts
My main concern is reliablity.
I wouldn't be too concerned about that. My ML500 has been rock solid, and with over 115000miles on it, regularly towing a 2tonne trailer and it's even had it's fair share of track-days (just for laughs) and some fairly heavy off-roading.

I've spent $500 on repairs in 2 years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone know if the 350 engine in the w163 suffers the balancer shaft sprocket failure like the ones in the w164?
In Canada they were available since '03
thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update
I have gotten the WIS manual off e-bay and the carsoft multiplexer/scanner from alpha bid. They both work awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts