Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I recently picked up a W124 4matic transfer case as a spare for my 1990 300TE. I am looking for the overhaul manual and parts schematics so I can rebuilt it and have it ready for the inevitable. I already have the official MB 4Matic service manual, but it does not get into the detail of overhauling individual components that I need.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
I thought that transfer case was not serviced and available only as a factory reman unit. Just one rebuilder and that is in Canada IIRC. Or am I thinking about the viscous coupling inside the transfer case...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that transfer case was not serviced and available only as a factory reman unit. Just one rebuilder and that is in Canada IIRC. Or am I thinking about the viscous coupling inside the transfer case...
Regardless of who does actually do it, with or without factory authorization, there will be instructions on how to do it. That's want I want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Repair 4matic TC instruction

Attached is the document from the Benz manual (WIS).

I've done this. However, the central piston housing wares beyond reapir. The seals are only available through the dealer at $185. Requires special tools and pressure tester which can be made up. I've lots of information and a few pics of the disassembly not well documented though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've done this. However, the central piston housing wares beyond reapir. The seals are only available through the dealer at $185. Requires special tools and pressure tester which can be made up. I've lots of information and a few pics of the disassembly not well documented though.
Fantastic!! Many thanks. Just what I was looking for.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts

Hey man, you'll be a total rockstar if you post up pics and any other info you've got on this process. There's precious little info out there on this vexing problem for the early 4-Matic cars. If you can't figure out how to post them, send me a PM and I'll host them on my ftp site.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man, you'll be a total rockstar if you post up pics and any other info you've got on this process. There's precious little info out there on this vexing problem for the early 4-Matic cars. If you can't figure out how to post them, send me a PM and I'll host them on my ftp site.
Agreed, we definitely need more out the on this. No telling how many W124 4matics have gone to pasture because of the owners getting scared away by the cost of repairs. I'll have to do this one up right and level the playing field.

Here some more to get things started: I found the seal part numbers.

AV inner seal: 124-288-10-55/55
AV outer seal: 124-288-11-55/55
ZS inner seal: 124-288-12-55/55
ZS outer seal: 124-288-13-55/55

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering how you are doing with your transfer case rebuild project...
I'm not rebuilding anything yet, but I did get another transfer case just this morning from a local pick & pull yard. It only took 2 1/2 hours to pull it. With a little more practice I should be able to get it under 1 1/2 hours. This one set me back a whopping $65 dollars. I also got the hydraulic actuator for about $50. Both look to be in good condition, without any tell-tail oil leak trails. When my currently installed transfer case goes out, which I think it is on the verge of doing given the sounds and vibrations I get when going in reverse with a turn, I'll replace it with one of the two spares I have. Both of the spares came from cars with body damage so I don't have any reason to suspect the transfer case going out is the reason for owner junking the car. I'm hoping at least one of the spares will work okay. Doing it this way - waiting for the current one to go bad - I will have a known bad transfer case on which to try the rebuild, rather than gambling on one of the potentially good ones.

Here is the first donor (1992 300E):

Here is the second donor (1991 300E):

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please read the function description. There is lot of hidden information about the early 4MATIC op.

View attachment 234480

View attachment 234481

View attachment 234482

View attachment 234483

View attachment 234484
These are some pretty darn important supplements to my 1990 edition service manual. After reading through them I might just have to go back and get the ring gear off the >1991 transmission - if it is still there. There is a big difference between straight teeth and curved teeth. It is also good to know that if I switch to one of my spare transfer cases I will also have to change the hydraulic control unit and install the electric test switch. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good stuff! I would love a parts yard near my home like the one you have access to!
Cheers,
Jamie
Actually that is one of five with an easy drive. The biggest plus to the Crazy Ray's outfit is the prices are fixed, regardless of the make of part you want, or of the make of car the pricer at the cash register saw you drive up in.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went back this morning and got one of the two ring gears. The other donor was again flat on the ground and I could not wait any longer for the fork operator to lift it for me. I was already running late for work. At least with one the two spare transfer cases have some value for me.

Here is the gear in place (note the angled teeth):

It was a pain getting the nut off. A regular depth 30 mm 12 point socket won't work. I tried a modified 12 point box end wrench which I heated and bent to fit in the well of the gear. That did not work because the sides of the nut points are too short and the wrench kept slipping off. The official MB tool fits neatly over the transmission output shaft the thus keeps the socket perfectly square to the nut. I priced it at about $30, but the dealer did not have it in stock. It looks like it might just be a good investment for later.

I ended up getting the nut off with a hammer and chisel and a lot of uncomfortable overhead swings while laying on my back under the car supported by three loose tires stacked in a pile. The $30 for the special tool does not sound that bad after all.

Anyway, I got it off:

It should work on either of these:
serial number: 003015, remanufactured by MB Canada as serial number 13716

serial number: 026998

I still don't know the serial number of the transfer case on my car, its too greasy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
WOW. Impressed with the work you've done. I have actually rebuilt my transfer case few years back. I was lucky I did not have to remove the rear tranny gear :) or maybe I did to replace the seal under it. I do not remember for sure. I pulled the transmission to replace it's front and the main engine seal for sure. If I removed the gear, I do not remember struggling with it. I it was in a shop with air I had access at that time. Not any more :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Homemade pressure tester

Attached is a brief description of a homemade pressure tester. It works fine on later (~92-93) cases with the bleeder valve.

I would like to get a spare case myself to see if the housing can be re-sleeved for the front axle piston bore.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone

I have a 1990 300TE 4matic and the transfer case was leaking...I installed a rebuilt transfer case from a 1993 300te. The 4matic light is on and the 4matic will not engage. Does this mean I have to install a new hydraulic control unit (let's say from a 1993 ?)

And if I do...will everything work or there is more work to be done ? Is there a big difference between both cases ? Should I just get my old transfer case rebuilt ?

thanks

nick

·
Registered
146 Posts
Agreed, we definitely need more out the on this. No telling how many W124 4matics have gone to pasture because of the owners getting scared away by the cost of repairs. I'll have to do this one up right and level the playing field.

Here some more to get things started: I found the seal part numbers.

AV inner seal: 124-288-10-55/55
AV outer seal: 124-288-11-55/55
ZS inner seal: 124-288-12-55/55
ZS outer seal: 124-288-13-55/55
Hey again, I was just reviewing this thread and maybe you can answer a question about the seals that you may be using...

Do you know which seal(s) may apply for a leak in this area? It seems the leak is along the seams of the two halves, maybe it is just sealant?
Cheers,
J.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
17 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing