Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM LOOKING TO SWAP OUT MY ENGINE OF MY 230 AND HEARD MANY THINGS OF THE CORVETTE LS1 ENGINE. I NEED ALOT OF IDEAS ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR, PRICING,BRABUS? ETC ETC..THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
920 Posts
First - typing all capitals is SHOUTING and is bad web etiquette - please don't do that.
Second, why on earth would you want to put that engine in a car that wasn't designed for it, unless you have a lot of time and money and engineering skill?
Much simpler to buy a Corvette and drive that.
Or spend the money and buy an SLK32 - it has more power than you could want or handle. There seem to be lots for sale in the USA and they are relatively cheap now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
first of all,,,COPY PASTE....

First - typing all capitals is SHOUTING and is bad web etiquette - please don't do that.
Second, why on earth would you want to put that engine in a car that wasn't designed for it, unless you have a lot of time and money and engineering skill?
Much simpler to buy a Corvette and drive that.
Or spend the money and buy an SLK32 - it has more power than you could want or handle. There seem to be lots for sale in the USA and they are relatively cheap now.
and secondly (no offense of course) stay well clear of folks like you! ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the cap's because i know people that have done engine swaps and because a used slk 32 is about 24-30 grand still. An engine swap would cost 5-7 estimating. i would like ideas or anything positive. thanks for explaining to me if i wanted to buy a vette but why would i want a vette its ugly. i like the slk better. therefore on the cheaper end why not do an engine swap? how much could it possibly cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont care about what anyone else is saying i like the look and the style of my slk. im trying to make my car as fast as possible in the cheapest way. I know people that have done engine swaps. Asking this forum is alot easier help because many people know what they are talking about. Since this guy seems to think that buying a vette or buying a 32 amg used, is in reasonable price range...shit.. im broke..hey everyone 32 amgs on me haha.. i dont care about the engine in my car its slow..which means i want any engine that will make my car as fast as possible. Any suggestions? please no negative feedback thank you

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Well, it's not so simple as it was in the old days to swap engines, since everything is computer controlled. Let's just say for argument you install a Chevy small block. Which computer are you going to use to control the engine? (a) No computer - then the SLK would not go, since according to it's computer the engine is not there/not running, so no fuel pump operation, etc.,etc. (b) The Chevy computer - how do you get that computer to talk to the MB computer. You'll still need the MB computer, otherwise no roof down, no brakes, etc., etc. (c) The MB computer - now you have to make the computer think an 8-cylinder is a 4-cylinder and the 'funny' reading you are getting is normal for MB.
So unless you got access to the MB programming code and can reprogram your computer, your chances for a swap-out is between zero and something quite a bit smaller. It has been done replacing the engine with another MB V8 but at that cost you can probably buy 2 used SLK32's.
Your best option would just be to work on the existing engine. If you search around in this forum, there are SLK 230 guys doing quite serious work without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not being negative, I advise you to let the swap go man. To stuff the motor into the SLK involves even more than the computer and electronics. Let's just say on a slim note that you can find a way to adapt a Chevy small-block to the bellhousing of your current transmission. A couple goes on the throttle will render your tranny in pieces. So, next would be an entire driveline swap, welding new mounts, etc. That's assuming it would fit which I doubt. I have vast experience with American hot rods and trucks and have done frame off restos and engine swaps. I think your idea is great, but will no doubt cost much more than your estimate. If you make it work, I want a ride in it.
Good luck

fF

·
Registered
693 Posts
to do it right..

sorry for the cap's because i know people that have done engine swaps and because a used slk 32 is about 24-30 grand still. An engine swap would cost 5-7 estimating. i would like ideas or anything positive. thanks for explaining to me if i wanted to buy a vette but why would i want a vette its ugly. i like the slk better. therefore on the cheaper end why not do an engine swap? how much could it possibly cost.
Id say 20k...for a no hodge-podge properly done swap and it would probably be easer to do an engine trans swap, not just the engine. any less than that and you would just have a huge problem car. Just buy an SLK32 or 55 AMG (the SLK32 is best of course cause I have one)

·
Registered
759 Posts
if youre gonna do it then dont put something so plane-jane as a SBC in there, those have been old hat for 4 decades. how about something REALLY special, like say, a gas turbine, or mazda rotary, or jag v12 or an electric motor so big it will rip the drivline to shreds in one trip around the block? of course youd be better off using the slk as a carrier to get parts for the real project car in your basement like i am. i hear you its no sports car but it is a sporty car and its already done.

I

·
0 Posts
Wow life is great...I get to throw bad ideas at a bad idea.

Save your money. Buy a 32 if you want the ultimate performance for this chassis. V8 is just too heavy. Besides, beef up a 32 and you'll have to work to keep the wheels from spinning. Chevy + Mercedes = Junk IMO.

·
Registered
844 Posts
And if you're wondering why the scottie dog looks apprehensive, you should have seen where Bush inserted that finger a few seconds later.....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Go for a MB v8 it will save much of the messing around, You will need the ecu also, look back a few weeks there is a guy doing it to his crossfire.

Go through my posts you will find it.

Humour is a large part of the forum, So try to see the funny side of peeps post, Dont jump all over them for having a laugh with you.

Its sort of a forum etiquette, CAPS are for when your mad or making a point, Any forum If all your post were in CAPS would not take long to be pulled up on it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
eTIQUETTE...OOPS.... Etiquette

Its sort of a forum etiquette, CAPS are for when your mad or making a point, Any forum If all your post were in CAPS would not take long to be pulled up on it.
Thanks papa. Here's one to be going on with for our friend. I HOPE HE CAN SEE THE LIGHTER SIDE.........................................:D

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Screw the computer, drop in a FORD 289 with twin four barrel carbs...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Don't forget the rest of the drivetrain.

No SLK experience, but I (and many others) have supecharged and turbocharged Mazda Miatas. Power is typically increased from 30-100%. Experience shows that the first thing to go is the clucth. Most will upgrade it to a stronger one along with the turbo upgrade. The next thing to go is the rear end, especially in the earlier model years, because the ring and pinion gears were smaller. My son took over tmy turbo Miata a few years ago, and busted the diff last year. The "monster Miata" folks, who swap out the engine for a V8, also replace the clutch, tranny, and rear end with stronger components (I think Tbird rear ends are popular). Although not mandatory, most also upgrade springs, shocks, and anti-roll bars.

Consider the need and cost to upgrade other components.

I think your cost estimate is way low.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lastly, you will need to supercharge whatever is in there, or remove the badgeing. Cant have any misrepresentation u know...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts