Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have and love my G-Wagon. In the past year, I've been going off-road more and more.
In risk of damaging my G-Wagon, now I'm looking to take it to the next level.
I'm looking for a Unimog 404. I have been told that there are alot of them out there, and the parts are inexpesive too.
I'm not looking to spend alot of money, but dont want a rust bucket either.
Any recommendations would be great...

Chuck

·
Registered
44 Posts
forget the 404, get 406 416 435 u1300l etc

The 404 has no power steering and a gas engine that is underpowered, usually the drill is to buy one from ebay and rebuild all the brakes the gas tanks and buy a new carbLOL Buy a 406, get stock power steering and a diesel motor that has tons of parts anywhere, watch for the brakes and lockers being frozen and start off ahead of the pack, plus get a hard top and not the sorry ass midget 404 cab with the rag top that will break your neck if u turn it over, how much do you want to spend anyway??? 404 are 5000 to 8000k and then come home and waste a year redoing eveything, ebay has them all and the mog list and unimog exchange has a few feom time to time, good luck!!

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: forget the 404, get 406 416 435 u1300l etc

mogadillo - 3/27/2005 3:24 PM

The 404 has no power steering and a gas engine that is underpowered, usually the drill is to buy one from ebay and rebuild all the brakes the gas tanks and buy a new carbLOL Buy a 406, get stock power steering and a diesel motor that has tons of parts anywhere, watch for the brakes and lockers being frozen and start off ahead of the pack, plus get a hard top and not the sorry ass midget 404 cab with the rag top that will break your neck if u turn it over, how much do you want to spend anyway??? 404 are 5000 to 8000k and then come home and waste a year redoing eveything, ebay has them all and the mog list and unimog exchange has a few feom time to time, good luck!!
I was looking at the 404 because of the price range. Personally, I would prefer the diesel. What are my choices for the money?

·
Registered
87 300gd, 84 mog 406
57 Posts
I have to agree, go for a 406 ect. It was the om-352 diesel in my 84 406 that turned me into a Mercedes diesel fan and led me to aquire a 300gd for my more civilised endevours. The om-352 is easy to work on and get parts for and the mogs are very fun to drive. You have to enjoy noisy,cramped and smelly but once you settle into that you will be smiling. Look on the unimog exchange and check with Shawn at eurotruck importers, he is in your neck of the woods. Happy hunting. Chris

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bearmtnmogs - 3/28/2005 12:21 AM

I have to agree, go for a 406 ect. It was the om-352 diesel in my 84 406 that turned me into a Mercedes diesel fan and led me to aquire a 300gd for my more civilised endevours. The om-352 is easy to work on and get parts for and the mogs are very fun to drive. You have to enjoy noisy,cramped and smelly but once you settle into that you will be smiling. Look on the unimog exchange and check with Shawn at eurotruck importers, he is in your neck of the woods. Happy hunting. Chris
Where should I start looking?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Where to start?

Try the DIY/FYI thread stuck near the top of this forum (Do It Yourself / For Your Information). The first post has a link to a buyers guide and a link to US and abroad Mog dealers

Try contacting member "h2odiesel" here on this forum. he is in Parish FL. name is Bob Dupoy. GREAT GUY. you might be able to get a "touch feel" for a 404 thru him. Check with "NCmog" to touch a 406/416 model. he is in.. you guessed it. North Carolina.

Otherwise check at "Eurotruck". He is also a member here. He owns... Eurotruck Imports. He's just and east of Atlanta and can get you most anything you want. He probably has some Mogs and Pinz at his shop right now.

in the FAQ/DIY thread is a link to rockymountain moggers website. They have a list of all the US and Euro mog dealers with links etc.

G

·
0 Posts
if you are ever around La you can stop by and drive one of my 404's. in a few months one will be up for sale. other than that i can try and help with any Q's.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coachgeo - 3/29/2005 12:17 AM

Where to start?

Try the DIY/FYI thread stuck near the top of this forum (Do It Yourself / For Your Information). The first post has a link to a buyers guide and a link to US and abroad Mog dealers

Try contacting member "h2odiesel" here on this forum. he is in Parish FL. name is Bob Dupoy. GREAT GUY. you might be able to get a "touch feel" for a 404 thru him. Check with "NCmog" to touch a 406/416 model. he is in.. you guessed it. North Carolina.

Otherwise check at "Eurotruck". He is also a member here. He owns... Eurotruck Imports. He's just and east of Atlanta and can get you most anything you want. He probably has some Mogs and Pinz at his shop right now.

in the FAQ/DIY thread is a link to rockymountain moggers website. They have a list of all the US and Euro mog dealers with links etc.
I will try to contact Bob. My best friend lives in Parish, and it's only 20 minutes away.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
2001 S500
27 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I live in Parrish and work in St Pete. I'll send you my phone number off list. I've got a 416 Doka and a 404.0 that happens to be available and a 407 that is on loan to a friend.

·
Registered
Unimog
26 Posts
Hi Chuck,

If you're near New England you're welcome to stop in and inspect / drive what I have in stock. I've got 404s, 416, U-1300L and Pinzgauers. (and some other unusual trucks).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts