Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been reading the forum for a while and searching in the usual places for a diesel G. I saw a really nice one at Keiser Motors in Campbell CA. IIRC it was a 1996 LWB turbo diesel with ~90k miles. Asking price was $52k! Also, there is a 1991 300GD Non-turbo w/ 114k asking $39k listed on www.clubwagen.com.

Two questions: do these prices seem high? Where should I be looking for a diesel G?

Thanks

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
For a non-idiot buyer, you'd have to knock about 17k off the turbo and about 23 off the non turbo to be considered somewhat close to market asking priecs, and then be a little flexible.

There aren't many turbodiesel Gs around here in the US. In my opinion, your best bet would be to find a 300GD and then transplant a turbodiesel engine from a sedan into the G. It's quite an easy swap if you start with a 300GD. I'm putting one (turbodiesel) into my 280GE now, and that's some extra expense due to the conversion from the gas motor. But when you start with a 300GD, nearly all the bits are there. About all you need to do is swap the motor in and get one extra row added to your radiator core.

turbodiesel motor prices run the gammut from under a grand for a junkyard motor to maybe 6k for a fully rebuilt long block.

Happy hunting!

-Dave G.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts