Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in one of my previous threads I am looking for a 300GD but I wanted to add into the search a SWB 280ge. If anyone has one for sale let me know.

thanks
Mark[:D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
inkblotz - 4/12/2005 1:21 PM

As I mentioned in one of my previous threads I am looking for a 300GD but I wanted to add into the search a SWB 280ge. If anyone has one for sale let me know.

thanks
Check out the classifieds at: www.clubgwagen.com and also keep an eye on Ebay. They pop up there occasionally, too.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a 280GE swb.
35" tires, MB alloys, 6.17 axles, 6.17 5-speed military tranny, MB lift etc etc. - the finest of everything.

might be talked into selling

Harald

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
RE: Looking for a SWB 280ge or 300GD - Ed Johnson, MBCA has nice unit for sale.

If you are a member of the Mercedes Benz Club of America, Ed Johnson in TN (?) has a very nice 280GE, LWB for sale. He has owned it since new and the price is very right. If you do not have the last edition of the magazine, let me know and I will either post here or sent to you. Ed has been on this site from time to time - I think?

Also, I have noticed two for sale in Seattle Times auto section lately. Called on one, traded calls, but chat with owner. Seems to be a nice G, with few problems. I think it is also a 280G.

Wow, as I am typing this, a very nice 1985 or so white 300GD LWB drove by my office window. Very clean looking. Roof rack, brush guard. Love at first sight.

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much. I have been searching for several months now. Scanning EBay, Classifieds, ClubGwagon etc. But finding a nice SWG has been tough. What does it take (other than too much money) to import one directly from Deutchland? I downloaded the registered importers list, started calling and most had no idea what a G was. If anyone can shed some light on the subject I would appreciate it.

PS
Harald how much convincing do you need to sell your G? Can you send me some pics and a price?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Hi Mark,

There aren't very many 1980-1995 G's for sale here in the USA, let alone SWB. If you're really serious about importing a vehicle, I suggest you do the following:

First get a look at the NHTSA's site about importing a vehicle. They compile a list of vehicles that are able to be modified to comply with DOT and government standards. Once you have that information at hand, go to www.autoscout24.com, click English version on the bottom left side. Search for the G of your choice.

Once you find it, go back to the NHTSA and look for a RI (registered Importer). The site has a listing with physical addresses and phone numbers on it. Call them and find out what kind of modifications/testing they'll need to do and how much it will cost in terms of dollars and time.

I know that you have to pay the US goverment 150% of the vehicle price (that means the full vehicle price, plus half of what you paid). Then there are other fees which the RI will explain to you.

For example, let's say you find a nice 300 GD, 1985 for $8,000.00 and the seller is willing to sell it to anyone in the USA. You'd have to pay $12,000.00 to bring it in here, plus TT&L plus fees required to modify it (sometimes in excess of $10,000.00). Then you'd be able to drive it and call it yours.

I hope this sheds some light for you.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Importation Costs ??

BrentG500 - 4/12/2005 7:36 PM

I know that you have to pay the US goverment 150% of the vehicle price (that means the full vehicle price, plus half of what you paid). Then there are other fees which the RI will explain to you.

For example, let's say you find a nice 300 GD, 1985 for $8,000.00 and the seller is willing to sell it to anyone in the USA. You'd have to pay $12,000.00 to bring it in here, plus TT&L plus fees required to modify it (sometimes in excess of $10,000.00). Then you'd be able to drive it and call it yours.
I sure would be curious where all those numbers come from.

1.) 150% to the US government? For what. Import duty is only 2.5%.

2.) $12,000 "to bring it here"? What's that?? RORO shipping is probably less than $2,000.

3.) Federalization costs are in the neighborhood of $15,000 and up. However, since the W460 has never been crash tested, it can't be legally imported unless it's more than 25 yrs old - i.e. 1979 and 1980 models only; and these don't require Federalization.

Let's try to be sure of our facts before posting.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
RE: Importation Costs ??

DUTCH - 4/12/2005 7:03 PM

I sure would be curious where all those numbers come from.

1.) 150% to the US government? For what. Import duty is only 2.5%.

2.) $12,000 "to bring it here"? What's that?? RORO shipping is probably less than $2,000.

3.) Federalization costs are in the neighborhood of $15,000 and up. However, since the W460 has never been crash tested, it can't be legally imported unless it's more than 25 yrs old - i.e. 1979 and 1980 models only; and these don't require Federalization.

Let's try to be sure of our facts before posting.
Dutch,

I spoke to a Coleman Sachs of NHTSA who said the following:

This responds to your e-mail asking about importing a Mercedes-Benz G-class model from Germany. You have asked how this could be accomplished.

A vehicle less than 25 years old that was not originally manufactured to conform to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) cannot be lawfully imported into the United States on a permanent basis unless it is first determined by the National Highway Traffic Safety administration to be eligible for importation. The agency makes these decisions on the basis of petitions from registered importers (RIs). These are business entities that are specifically approved by NHTSA to import nonconforming vehicles and to perform the necessary modifications on those vehicles so that they conform to all applicable FMVSS. The petitions must specify that the vehicle is substantially similar to a vehicle that was certified by its original manufacturer as conforming to all applicable FMVSS and is capable of being readily altered to conform to those standards, or, if there is no substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle, that the vehicle has safety features that comply with, or are capable of being altered to comply with, the FMVSS based on destructive test information or other evidence the agency deems adequate. Import eligibility decisions are made on a make, model, and model year basis. The only Mercedes-Benz G-class models that we have determined to be eligible for importation are listed on our website.

As previously indicated, an import eligibility decision can be based on the substantial similarity of a non-U.S. certified vehicle to a vehicle manufactured for importation and sale in the United States, and so certified by its original manufacturer. Please note that if the vehicle you are seeking to import is right-hand drive, even if there were a U.S.-certified version of that vehicle, it might not be considered "substantially similar" for import eligibility purposes. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, NHTSA will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises the agency that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the certified left-hand drive vehicle in crash tests. Absent such evidence, the petitioning RI would have to demonstrate that the vehicle, when modified, would comply.

An additional requirement for the lawful importation of a nonconforming vehicle is that it be imported by an RI or by an individual who has contracted with an RI to bring the vehicle into conformity with all applicable FMVSS. A bond in an amount equivalent to 150 percent of the declared value of the vehicle must be given at the time of importation to ensure that the necessary modifications are completed within 120 days of entry. A list of registered importers can be found on our web site at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/RIlist. You might want to contact one or more of the listed RIs to obtain their opinion on the feasibility of conforming the vehicle that you seek to import to the FMVSS, and to learn the costs involved in petitioning the agency to determine that vehicle
to be eligible for importation, and the costs for conforming the vehicle to the FMVSS.

I hope this information is helpful.

Coleman Sachs, Chief
Import and Certification Division
Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Secondly, the whole $8K/12K was hypothetical.

[:D] [:)]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
If the G is bought from a business in Germany you'll get a 16% sales refund upon export.

RoRo is less than $1000

Shipping agent gets around $4oo in fees

2.5% customs is correct

the RI will take care of the 150% bond (actually its bond insurance) - they'll charge a few $100 for it.

Charges for federalizing the vehicle vary depending on make and model (between $15.000 and $25,000 for a G)

Harald

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
RE: Importation Costs ??

OK. The 150% to the USD gov't is a bond - fully refundable when the Federalization is completed. The bond costs about $100 or less, depending on your bondability.

As to the "hypothetical" amounts, best verify them before posting.

(Edit: I didn't read Harald's post before I wrote this one, but it looks like we're pretty much on the same page.)

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
4x4abc - 4/12/2005 9:38 PM

If the G is bought from a business in Germany you'll get a 16% sales refund upon export.

RoRo is less than $1000

Shipping agent gets around $4oo in fees

2.5% customs is correct

the RI will take care of the 150% bond (actually its bond insurance) - they'll charge a few $100 for it.

Charges for federalizing the vehicle vary depending on make and model (between $15.000 and $25,000 for a G)

Harald
Thanks for the confirmation, Harald.

·
Registered
F250 FJ62 280ge
70 Posts
Regardless of the cost, it is a rip off to pay that much money to import a car. It makes no sense that it is ok to bring a car in that is much older and would be more likely to fail a crash test or an emissions test and is more likely to be an unsafe rust bucket. The registered importers are the ones making all the money thanks to the govt. Ok enough ranting back to the mobile.de website, heh heh.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
SWB Early 300GD in Brunswick, GA

inkblotz - 4/12/2005 1:21 PM

thanks
Mark, There's an early SWB 300GD for sale on Ebay in Brunswick. Close enough for a lookie look if you're still in the market.

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
RE: SWB Early 300GD in Brunswick, GA

Dutch,

I looked at that last night. It worried me a bit that it has no title. Is this a Georgia thing? Up here you would not be able to register a vehicle without a title. I wonder if it has EPA and DOT papers?

I have noticed a lot of military vehicle dealers seem to be in Georgia - it can't be for the weather can it? Or maybe it is because it is easier to get a registration for these vehicles without titles?

Hmmm.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts

alaskagwagen - 4/26/2005 6:01 PM

Dutch,

I looked at that last night. It worried me a bit that it has no title. Is this a Georgia thing? Up here you would not be able to register a vehicle without a title. I wonder if it has EPA and DOT papers?

I have noticed a lot of military vehicle dealers seem to be in Georgia - it can't be for the weather can it? Or maybe it is because it is easier to get a registration for these vehicles without titles?

Hmmm.
Lots of non-titled cars here, as earlier than a certain age they're not required. My thought onthis:

1.) He's keeping his feedback private. Not a good sign.
2.) That steering wheel is newer than 1980. I sent him a note asking for the VIN.
3.) That's new paint. Can hide a lot of sins.
4.) His comment about the pictures being the only ones he has makes me wonder if the truck is even in his possession. Probably still in Germany. Brunswick is a big RORO center for BMW and others. He probably sells, then imports it. If he responds with a VIN, I'll ask if I can come look at it. That should answer that question. [}:)]

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts

Let me know if you go look at it. It is interesting and disturbing at the same time. And I thought things were wild up here on the last frontier!

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
4x4abc - 4/12/2005 2:06 PM

I am in the process of restoring a 280GE swb.
35" tires, MB alloys, 6.17 axles, 6.17 5-speed military tranny, MB lift etc etc. - the finest of everything.

might be talked into selling

Harald
If it was a cabrio I'd be all over that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts