Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 White ML320, 13 Audi S5,84 300ZX Turbo, 03 Audi A4, 03 Audi TT, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a search for the ETC code I have and finding nothing other than a humorous and highly edited thread from last November (116, starter lockout/trans fluid temp sensor), a trip to my indie, and a trip to transmission shop he recommended that I had never been to, I wanted a sanity check.

So, my car has 220,000 miles. Early this summer, it started going into limp mode, requiring my wife to pull over, shut the car off, wait a few seconds, and start the car again. Everytime, all is well after this for 2 or 3 weeks. This happened about 5 times over a 3 month period. My first stop was my battery because the car was starting slowly and I was wondering if the ETC was failing some check due to a low voltage on startup. So, after finding may battery to be 5.5 years old, I decided to just change it. After removing it, I found the case cracked just below the negative terminal. I didn't have it tested, so don't know if there was a bad cell. I just put the new battery in. Car started normally and so I crossed my fingers. Well, it did it again, so I called my faithful indie who after looking at the 13 pin connector, recommended I go to a transmission shop as that was something over his head. The transmission shop looked at it and decided it was not the conductor or the valve body and simply replaced the fluid which I had asked him to do anyway (this is the third time I have had the fluid replaced). He also downloaded the codes and found the 116 code noted above. He thought all it needed was a fluid swap.

A little nervous, I packed my wife and 3 teenage boys in the car and am currently enjoying the cool weather in Colorado about 1000 later, so I am hoping he is right.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
Don't you think it would be helpful if you supplied the thread/link on your previous problem, which you should have continued posting on that thread.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
Code 116 relates to either the Temp. Sensor, Starter Lock out on the conductor plate.

The important thing here is did the trans. mechanic clear the code from the Transmission Module.

You can conduct test #13 by disconnecting the appropriate connector and take Ohm readings at the appropriate wires. Scroll down to the end for which connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 White ML320, 13 Audi S5,84 300ZX Turbo, 03 Audi A4, 03 Audi TT, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew you would ask whether he cleared the code and do not know. We are back after over 2000 miles on our Colorado trip, but will ask him Monday.

I will also try to do the ohm test you posted and see what the results are.

Thanks 43sqd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts