Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have my wheels here and I figured I might as well get new coils, shocks, and spring pads while I am at it.

I have a 2001 CLK 430 Cabrio. Here is what I am planing to do:

Wheels
--------------
Zenetti Deuce 19" 8.5 front, 9.5 rear - Chrome

Springs
--------------
Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set from tirerack

I have heard the Eibach set give a softer ride over the H&Rs. I am not really concerned with a sportier ride as it sounds like the H&R sprigs provide. Comfort is a more important factor for me.

Shocks
-------------------
Do I need to get new shocks? Is it better to change everything at once? Will the ride or response be any better with aftermarket shocks?

If so, I may order the Koni Sport shocks. Someone help me on this one. An other recommendations?

Spring Pads
--------------------
I currently have 3s in the back, 2s in the front (at least this is what they look like). I will stop by the LV MB dealer and pick up new pads just to be safe.

Because the Eibach lower the car 1.2" in both the front and the rear, I think I will go with new spring pads for a more aggressive look. 2s in the front, 4s in the rear.

I think the cabrio is heavy in the rear and I don't want the car to sit lower in the back than it does in the front. I also don't want any risk of rubbing.

Thats about it. I have read a ton of info on this site and I seek further enlightenment.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
DO NOT use OEM shocks, they weren't made for that ride height. Get a set of Bilstein Sport Shocks. Autozone carries them.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? I appreciate the feedback.

I just got off the phone with tirerack and they recommended I go with the adjustable KONIs set to "soft" to improve the ride comfort. They did say I could use my current shocks, but they would most likly wear out soon, so I fugured why not get it done all at one.

From what I have gathered, tirerack seems to be the best overall authority on what works well.

Who out there has the Eibach coils and the KONI shocks? Are you happy?

Am I headed down the wrong path?

I have until Monday to make up my mind.

·
Registered
W208
106 Posts
i don't think you have 2's in the front? or maybe you do, every car is different. I had the similar setup you are getting, eibach but i had billsteins instead of the koni's. The ride was real smooth and i liked it alot. For an even gap i did a 4 in the rear and 3 in the front. The back usually sags more because of the cabro components. You might have to play around with it, that's what i did. Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info.

It was actually very tough to see the number of bumps in the front, but the back pads were very easy to see.

With a 3/4 setup did the back of the car sag at all?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts