Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any sources where I can find 97-99 140 coupe. I believe they were CL at that time, or they may have also been S500 coupe. Obviously, id like a well cared for car with reasonable mileage. I've owned 140's but never a coupe. Im in the Chicago area. Thanks in advance.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Stick it out and wait for a good one,,,they are so nice in every respect.

We do not get much choice in the UK very few ever for sale, be prepared to spend a little on it when you first get it.

The worst thing of all for me was they can look nice in a photo,, I travelled many miles to view only to find the car was very poor and nothing like as described

·
Registered
118 Posts
Question: What should one expect to pay for a nice one? Prices in my area are all over the map. What's interesting to me is that it appears to be a car that is very hard to sell...Though I haven't looked at them closely, a couple have been for sale for I'd say two years! Before I buy one, I want to look at enough of them to recognize a good one. A relative had a S600 Coupe. Had to replace the tranny...$7000. Gulp. I want a S500 Coupe or CL500, but I don't want a siren like a wooden boat. I know it was an expensive car. I want it but I'm weary of the problems. Hell, I had a 560SEC. Only car I ever had that I spent more to maintain than I spent to buy it. Don't want to do that again.

There's a '99 CL500 somewhere in MN. for sale with 19,000mi. Wants a pretty penny for it, but the pics look nice.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
I was a little peed off when I bought mine,,, short of getting the car on a lift the suspension components cannot be checked, my 2 bottom wishbone bushes were shot and at £250 each not cheap, plus fitting along with a few other bits

·
Registered
915 Posts
there is few things missing on S600C in late 94 ,95,96 and even late 97 MB engineers wonder around and so there is nothing like to have the 98 one .In S600C missing toys are LIKE rain sensor no ESP no BAS old style ADS 1 no parktronic ETC there is lots more to say I WILL SAVE THAT FOR LATER anyway thats why I like CL 98 model year and US spec 99 .

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are very few W140s for sale that don't need some work. My advice is too look for one in good cosmetic condition. That's an indicator that the car has been well taken care of. Then expect to put in some money into the mechanicals. Budget at least $5000 for immeadiate repairs. More or less depending on your DIY desires. Of course get the car inspected to ensure nothing major is wrong. Be prepared for the inspection to reveal some needed repairs. Use that to negotiate a better sale price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow! 5K for immediate repairs? I might be outa my league, here. There's a (cosmetically) nice looking '99 near me with just over 80K miles for sale by a Ford dealer for almost 13 grand. Haven't seen it in person yet, but the pics look good. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, save for cosmetics? Obviously, clean fluids and lights on the dash, etc, but what else?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow! 5K for immediate repairs?
5K might be high if you do the work yourself. But if your are paying someone to fix the car it can add up quickly.
I might be outa my league, here.
Not if you budget the extra money. If you spend everything you can afford on the intial purchase then yes, you might be out of your league. This should be true for any used car you purchase. You need to set aside some money for the unexpected.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, save for cosmetics? Obviously, clean fluids and lights on the dash, etc, but what else?
Make sure the AC works. W140s are prone to evaporator failure which is an expensive repair due to the 20+ hours labor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts