Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I visted our dealer yesterday and decided that an E320 is right for us. Cost limitaions are putting us in the relm of the last year of the W210.

We drove an 01 black with black with 63k miles. Really too many miles for our tastes and we hate the black interior and prefer not to have it on the outside. In spite of the color and miles we really loved the Feeling of the car. We also tested 2005 C230 and found it well a little cheaply done.

So it is an E for us.

In looking for a 2002 E320 (30k miles or so) what should we be looking for option wise. Stuff that is a "must have", Stuff that is nice, and stuff to avoid.

PS..
What is the E320SE (Special Edition?) What did that come with?

Thanks

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Good to see another Arizona member. I was going to say that heated seats are nice for those cold Arizona mornings. I used mine a couple of times in January.

The Navigation system "COMAND" is nice for taking trips with. If all you drive is around town then you can get by without it.

If you tint your windows as everyone does in AZ then you don't need the rear rolling shade.

Head light washers are rarely needed so don't worry about finding a model without them.

Silver or white would be a good color for AZ. The Ash colored interior holds up well in the heat.

Getting one with the "Sport" options would be good. That way you get some AMG body modifications.

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see cars listed with E1 and E2 option packages.

What is in those?

I personally like white. My wife does not. Well it will be my car not hers so... [:p]

Really Silver and white are nice. Silver is bit too common, but going used you don't have all the choice in the world. [:(]

I am glad to hear the Ash does well out here. Out ML320 is Desert Silver & Java and I like that color, but I HATE to have two cars with same color combo.[B)] All my Porsche's are red, but I got them old so not that many choices. We got lucky when we go our 1 year old ML. It was the color and had the options we wanted and of course was in great shape with right miles/cost. Love to do the same with the E. [:D]

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Option Package E1 includes:
ESP - electronic stability program
Headlamp washer system
Xenon headlights
Rain sensor

Option Package E2 includes:
Bose premium sound system
Electric sliding glass roof

Most E-Classes have the E2 package. It is hard to find one without it.

Dealerships get their best Pre-Owned cars from Leasing Company Auctions. Cars that are coming off of a lease that have had all of their service done by the dealership as part of the lease agreement so they have service records and are up to date on service advisories. Every month there is an off-lease auction and the dealerships buy back the best of them for their Pre-Owned Sales lot. They can go there with your needs in mind and find the one you want if you are willing to wait and pay them their dealer markup.

·
Registered
E320
3 Posts
Not to dampen anyone's spirit, but be prepared to purchase a Benz. Above all, you need an extended warranty because warranty is everything! All you need is one or two repairs, and you could probably have purchased a fully loaded KIA for the price!

Do a forum search on how long brakes last; then brake rotors last; Regular maintenance (Mobil 1 or equivalent); rust; a/c problems; A Service / B Service; Window motors...

Some cars you have a 50/50 chance of getting a "lemon or troubled car", but with Benz' and quality, the % is much higher.

If you can swing it, instead of a used E, why not a new C or other brand.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
sportscartiki - 6/26/2005 7:55 AM

did you buy yet? i have very nice '02 4-matic, Desert Silver(beige-gold) with beige interior
Desert silver is the absolute worst color. Its not really beige gold but a metallic light brown. Why do you think most of the dealer's loaner fleets are this color?? They are hard for the dealer to sell. I think its really the only MB ugly color.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo S40, 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E
120 Posts
I think that dessert silver is one of the best colors that MB has to offer. It is extremely popular here in TX and and I would assume that is very popular in other warm regions of the country as well. It is a very easy color to maintain and it looks good all the time.

I also like the color for the exact same reason that you mentioned. It is not quiet gold and it is not quite beige.

As far as the loaner cars at my dealer, they are all different colors. I would assume that your dealer probably uses dessert silver color cars because they require less washing and they don't show the scratches and imperfections as easily as other colors.

If your looking for a long lasting MB color, I say get a dessert silver or just a plain silver MB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how do you think life will be for me without an extended warrenty?
i have a 2000 e320 4matic. had it for 18 mos. 60,000. so far so good. no problems.
lloyd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts