Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find one of these? There's a Haynes manual for the 280 series from 68 - 72, but only 6 cylinder. I'm not any amazing mechanic (not planning a total rebuild or anything), but I need help with some basics. Does anyone know if the 6-cylinder manual is similar enough? Or if the V8 only has the factory manual (and how you go about getting one?).

Also, I have a power steering fluid leak. The power steering will go out for a moment or two when I'm first driving, then start making a truly horrible sound during hard turns once the car is driven for a while. I'm assuming the pump needs to be replaced, since that appears to be where the leak is coming from...

Thanks!
Susanna

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Mercedes Benz sells the CD manual for the car. Also, if the PS is leaking, make sure you have enough fluid with you so it doesn't go dry or you will face major repair costs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find one of these? There's a Haynes manual for the 280 series from 68 - 72, but only 6 cylinder. I'm not any amazing mechanic (not planning a total rebuild or anything), but I need help with some basics. Does anyone know if the 6-cylinder manual is similar enough? Or if the V8 only has the factory manual (and how you go about getting one?).

Also, I have a power steering fluid leak. The power steering will go out for a moment or two when I'm first driving, then start making a truly horrible sound during hard turns once the car is driven for a while. I'm assuming the pump needs to be replaced, since that appears to be where the leak is coming from...

Thanks!
Susanna
Try looking on ebay or amazon for a haynes 350&450 SL/SLC book.ISBN0 8596 698 It will have all engine ,trans and powersteering info you need. If it's noisy, remove the spring and the metal disc in the bottom of the reservoir. Under this disc is a round flat filter,replace this.
Get some lucas power steering treatment and use it in the powersteer reservoir with the engine idling. The main leaks are are normally just the large return hose or the seal in the front of the pump (behind the pulley) This seal is cheap and can be bought at any seal or bearing place if you pull the seal out so they can see what size it is. . If the steering is still noisy,look at the top of the steering box and you will see a bleed nipple. With the engine OFF,loosen this and connect a piece of hose that can reach the pump reservoir. With the end of the tube in the reservoir ,let the engine idle and watch the fluid . Get someone to turn the steering from left to right a couple of times,once the fluid runs reasonbly clear without bubbles it should now work quietly. turn the engine off and tighten the nipple. Failure to do so will result in a catastrophic fountain of fluid over the hot exhaust!

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
try books4cars.com out of seatle. I bought mine for passeger vehicle 108 109 111 113. about 3 inches thick and covers the entire 116 and 117 engine. also service manual for engines m 116 117 is available. i paid about 150.00 for both books. far cheaper than cd. And these are also original mercedes service manuals.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,743 Posts

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,353 Posts
Take a look at the Online Resources portion of this forum too - lots of stuff has been posted up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts