Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured out that my hydraulics are kaput. I can lock down the front latches with the wrench, and was hopping there is a way to get the other 4 to lock? They are at least an inch or 2 from engaging and they don't seem to want to get any closer?

·
Premium Member
2000 SL 500 Sport
535 Posts
My reply to your other thread

Does your pump work? Do some of the cylinders just leak? If the pump works and some cylinders are leaking, remove the spare from the trunk. Take the 10mm (I think) nuts off from the pump cover and fill the reservoir. You should have enough to latch the rear then? If the hydraulics are really blown and that is not possible I "think" you can latch the locks but you would have to remove the trunk lining (easy) and I think you can fit a wrench onto the locks to operate them. I would contact Klaus at Top Hydraulics and he will know for sure.

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll give that a shot, first time messing with this rube goldberg nightmare of a design, Makes me long for my what was I thinking selling it, 1973 350sl 4-speed how the mighty have fallen..

·
Premium Member
2000 SL 500 Sport
535 Posts
This is my first Mercedes and honestly they are fairly easy to work on. I rebuilt some of my cylinders using mbseals and have used Klaus at Top Hydraulics for some of them. I bet there is even someone here who would give you a hand. Swany has a great PDF write up showing how to do them all without removing the rear interior. They are nice driving fun cars once you get a few of the things sorted out.

·
Registered
1989 560 Sel
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well worst case the fluid got the top locked in place, I'll give it a few days before I button it back up to see if stop leak is the real deal or if it's stop weak..

·
Premium Member
2000 SL 500 Sport
535 Posts
I have a funny feeling you are going to regret using stop leak? Lots of valve blocks and small lines that can get clogged or gummed up using something like that. Many people have had problems just using the wrong hydraulic fluid. Good luck.

No need to replace cylinders they are rebuildable either by you, a mechanic, of Klaus at top hydraulics. And if 1 cylinder is leaking the others are not far behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts