Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my CD changer and I'm seriously considering changing my HU. I'm vaguely considering getting a Top of the Line model that comes with a built in phone and all the bells n whistles (short of a DVD player).

Anyone have any opinions which brands and models to go with? I'm looking for likes and dislikes about the HU and also for whether or not it looks good in the car.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Consider Alpine - they are pricey but they should work well with your car plus some models now have the option to hook up an iPod (you need to purchase an additional adaptor, of course) but it works great I hear. In fact I plan to replace my headunit with an Alpine this summer.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Actually you can get Alpine pretty cheap if you shop around. Do research on the iPod adapter there are some serious limitations with it that may be a deal breaker for some.

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, looking around... Both Clarion AND Pioneer have DVD-Navi/mp3 (cd-r)/cd etc systems that are single DIN. I'm seriously leaning toward one of these HU. Anyone with experience please comment! (I've bumped a couple old threads. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
lilMAC - 5/6/2005 12:05 PM

I'm having problems with my CD changer and I'm seriously considering changing my HU. I'm vaguely considering getting a Top of the Line model that comes with a built in phone and all the bells n whistles (short of a DVD player).

Anyone have any opinions which brands and models to go with? I'm looking for likes and dislikes about the HU and also for whether or not it looks good in the car.

Thanks
Nate
Bells and whistles....http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd8455.html

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have seriously been considering the Eclipes 8455 since before it hit the market. I just need to find a decent deal before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
I found out the msrp of the 8455 is $650. $650 is a lot of money for a HU. But this HU has features that other companies could only dream about. I know Alpine has a head unit for about the same price or more, and it comes no where close to the features offered by the 8455. Take a look at the competitors HU's that cost around $650, and compare it to the 8455. 8455 wins hands down. I've seen all types of HU's past and present, and the 8455 is the only HU that I ever seen worth buying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts