Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an OEM CD changer and would like to know what is required to install it.
I would have thought the CD changer option was standard on the SLK32's but mine doesnt currently have one.

Is it a big task to install? I guess it sits in the trunk.
Does it work via hard wire (prefered) or FM like some do (not prefered).
I think you need a couple of special tools to extricate the OEM CD player from the dash.
Any links to such a tool or suitable substitute - much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thx
just gotta wait until I get home in a couple of days to see if I have the fibre cable in the tunrk.

·
Registered
'02 slk320
84 Posts
Just make sure it comes with the bracket and all the mounting hardware. If you were in the states I have one I would give you. I took it out and installed a new head unit with SiriusXM, iPod jack, and usb port and never looked back.

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,415 Posts
Just make sure it comes with the bracket and all the mounting hardware. If you were in the states I have one I would give you. I took it out and installed a new head unit with SiriusXM, iPod jack, and usb port and never looked back.
Hi Greg,

I sent you a pm/private message

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes - I'm in a bit of a quandry....they only sold 30 of these slk32's in Australia betwen 2002 and 2004 and who knows how many have met their maker already...lets say half a dozen.
I'd like to mod, but am torn into some insane thought that I should keep it stock standard for posterities sake. I guess something like this is easily reversible .....albeit until you have 10 things that are easily reversible and a shed full of OEM....then its not so "easily" reversible

hmmmm...

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
68 Posts
yes - I'm in a bit of a quandry....they only sold 30 of these slk32's in Australia betwen 2002 and 2004 and who knows how many have met their maker already...lets say half a dozen.
I'd like to mod, but am torn into some insane thought that I should keep it stock standard for posterities sake. I guess something like this is easily reversible .....albeit until you have 10 things that are easily reversible and a shed full of OEM....then its not so "easily" reversible

hmmmm...
Since the slk32's is such a rarity in your country, perhaps it's better to just keep it stock. I'm sure there aren't that many left that are left untouched...It'll also help uphold the value better too.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts

hmmmm...
IMHO the R170 though it sold in reasonably large numbers,331,000 between 1996 and 2004 according to Wikipedia,its still destined to become something of a classic car. Initially I was thinking of personalising my own 1998 230 model,but on reflection now think it would be better to keep it in stock condition.The only mod currently being an upgraded CD player fitted by the previous owner,a Sanyo Xplod.Im going to change it back to an original MB audio to keep the car 100% standard. So if anyone has one for sale,(dashboard type with no changer in the trunk) please get in touch.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
68 Posts
I do have a stock deck, but my slk320 is equipped with weather satellite and CD changer so I'm not sure if it will work on your vehicle.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
I do have a stock deck, but my slk320 is equipped with weather satellite and CD changer so I'm not sure if it will work on your vehicle.
Thanks for the offer,but its probably incompatible.Also the shipping cost to the UK would be a bit pricey!
If anyone has one a little nearer to hand,I would be interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts