Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a very nice 320 with a lot of service records. Has a rattle in transmission. But works and shifts fine. when cold no rattle after a few blocks louder but still shifts fine. Car is being sold for owner by local inde. Sound is definitely from trans. Cant find any information about what this should be. The mech does not know just trying to help good customer out. He said it probably needs new trans. Anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,490 Posts
Helpful to add additional info on car, miles, major maintenance, last time trans fluid replaced, etc.
I don't recall any rattling trans threads. Plenty of rattling catalytic convertors though.
Can you describe the noise? Metallic, thumping, etc. Sound clip might help.

Skippy

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
If it truly is rattling in the transmission as you say, run away. Don't walk. Run and never look back. Transmissions don't rattle. Not unless something is very, VERY wrong.

That being said, i'm 98% sure it's not the transmission rattling that you hear. Never heard of it on one of these. Take it to a good indie, have them look it over. I'll bet they find a shot cat, or loose heat shield or something...

·
Registered
1999 E320
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is at a good indie. He has all the records and he said it is not the cats. He said he will put it up if I want to her it. And the cats have been changed Mechaniced. He has serviced this car for 6 years and said it sounds like it is deep in the trans. But no codes and shifts fine. 1998 with 195,000 trans service by him. No rust very nice shape. $1500.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts