Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am looking at buying either a 76 300d or a 79 wagon. Haven't gone to take a look at them yet since I am currently at school. I am waiting for the seller to send me some more pictures and info after contacting him today. From the look of it, do you think this would be a do-able project?

Here is the link: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/2042479423.html

Which one of the cars would have better potential to be worth something someday, after being restored?

On the 76 300d, how much would new floor pans cost?
Do you think it will be worth buying, even with the rust problem?

Thanks,
David

Edit: posted pictures below.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
Well if your looking for a beater or are a skilled welder\body tech or looking to become one than this is the car for you. As is you won't get your money out of the parts you have to put in it.. would also make a good parts car... I'd agree on passing on this one...

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about trying to learn how to do body work on this car. My friend was going to help me work on it also, so I could teach him a thing or two about fixing cars.

I would want to try and properly restore it, but if it becomes too expensive, I guess it could become a beater or be parted out.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
If you want to learn body work, and want a project definitely go for it. I love my 1979 300d... beside at the price your buying it at it would make a good learning tool

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller never got back to me about the original car I posted, but I found these two that seem to be in better condition than it (at least the 76 300d is).

I am more interested in the 300d since it seems to be in better condition, but I also think having a wagon would be really cool, but maybe not worth all the work that will need to be done to it.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
The wagons are awesome. You can pack a nice group of chicks in them and they are fun to drive. The 300D's are awesome as well. They handle great, have great engines and are fun to drive. If you are looking for a project, do not hesitate to go with your gut. Body work is either your thing or it's not. In my case it is not, but I can understand the logic in post #4 & 5 above. For the fun of it I am enrolled in an engine rebuilding and machine shop class at the local college here in the spring. I am looking for a 240D engine that is not currently running or runs like crap/smokes, to learn how to rebuild with practical application. Not to mention, if you save one of these beauties from the junkyard, you will be a hero to us all. Like any other car, you shouldn't consider it an investment. Do it for the fun of it. If you're not married, I would also recommend you get it out of your system (if you can) before you get married or find a woman that likes holding shop lights and handing you wrenches. One last thing, you don't have to buy a car that is completely dessimated by rust to learn body work. If it is too rusted out, try to find something a little more intact. These cars are not that rare. I made that mistake once with a 1983 300SD and I soon realized I bit off more than I could chew.

·
Registered
1979 240D
69 Posts
I've been buying old cars and fixing them up for 20 years now - the best advice I can give is spend as much as you can afford upfront on the nicest car you can find, because it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

For example, say you have two cars that are the same, except one is $500 and needs bodywork, and the other is $2000 but has a mint body. You might think you're saving money buying the cheaper one, but you will spend more than $1500 in time and effort fixing up the old beater, and frankly, it will never be as nice as the $2000 one is right off the bat.

I paid $2000 for my 240D, which was probably too much, but for that price I got one with a nice, mostly rust-free body, acceptable interior and a fully functioning vacuum system and mechanicals. So I'm out driving instead of up on blocks dealing with the tin worm!

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
hmmm the 300d there is a brutal color but the body looks ok, but the rust on that wagon looks almost beyond repair, if the fenders are that bad, odds are the frame isn't far behind and that can be dangerous. Look at them both, go on a nice day and crawl underneath both of them with a ball peen hammer and tap on everything metal.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes 300D Euro Spec
462 Posts
Hi, I am looking at buying either a 76 300d or a 79 wagon. Haven't gone to take a look at them yet since I am currently at school. I am waiting for the seller to send me some more pictures and info after contacting him today. From the look of it, do you think this would be a do-able project?

Here is the link: 3 Mercedes Diesel

Which one of the cars would have better potential to be worth something someday, after being restored?

On the 78 300d, how much would new floor pans cost?
Do you think it will be worth buying, even with the rust problem?

Thanks,
David
Theres a 1984 euro 240D with a 4 speed on the dc craigslist located in annapolis. If you can, try looking for one further south because I spent about a year and a half looking for one with no rust in the dc area and every single one I looked at had some amount of rust. Bought my 84 euro 300D rust free down in Atlanta last summer for $2,400 no rust, running and driving, and working air conditioning.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After what you guys said, I am deffinatly passing on the wagon. It is almost beyond repair. I got some pictures from the seller of the 300d, and the body looks to be in great shape, except for the floor boards. He said one of the weather strips was bad and water got in and rusted it away. Do you think this means the frame underneath would also be rusted? The interior needs to be completely re-done, how much do you think it would cost for the parts? For a $800 car, do you think it owuld be worth it? I might be able to talk the seller down a bit since he is moving and needs it gone.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
WOW! She looks ROUGH! If you are buying it as a project like you say, it needs a lot of work. Does it run? I would definitely check out the underbody. Look at all the rubber bushings, mounts, CV boots, muffler hanger, etc. My guess is grass has worked its way into the undercarriage and along with the rust, it is going to make quite a project for you. If you have the right equipment, the floorboards can be fabricated. You will need all new carpets, seat skins, cushions, etc. My off-the-top-of-my-head estimate is about $5k to get that car mechanically and structurally sound. It would be worth it as a project if you don't mind spreading that $5k over a couple years and looking for used parts. I think most people will tell you to save your money for a better car, but it is completely your decision.

·
Registered
-1985 300d (champagne/palomino 133k) -1979 300d (dead parts car)
128 Posts
how long ago did you start looking for a diesel benz? my guess is not too long ago. i would keep looking for a more rust-free example.

that car looks like it's worth metal value, maybe $250. it has rust, a shot interior, and who knows what mechanical issues. unless you have lots of tools, lots of money, or a ridiculously altruistic sense of compassion for old, rusty cars... keep looking! try to get the aforementioned issues down to one, interior/cosmetics probably being the easiest to fix.

i understand the "need to buy one right now" complex though. i bought my first w123 for $200, knowing it had rust and a seized engine. but i wanted to start learning on one. i got it running, learned how it worked, and blew up the engine 3 days later. but i loved those 3 days, and she has given me my money's worth in spare parts. after 3 years of pestering the owner of the 98% rust-free and complete 300d i TRULY wanted, i convinced him to sell it to me for a grand. patience and persistence are your friends in this pursuit!

keep saving and looking for the best example you can afford. or buy a $200 piece of rust that you can learn on in the meantime :) good luck! JQ

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
That is not an $800 dollar car! don not even consider paying that much for it. I agree with the above poster, it's only worth at best, $250.... you'd be doing him a favor by taking it....

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You guys are right. I just started looking not long ago for a project since my 190D is finally finished. The need to buy craze hit me. Guess I'll keep looking for a rust free one in good condition.

Thanks for all your help and for saving me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts