Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2017 G550 with a little over 40K miles but have some concerns and would like your opinions.
My experience is mostly on the W163 ML forum where I have been a contributor for many years.
First the 2017 I'm looking at has the following maintenance history.

1)
@ 13K miles It had 2 tires replaced and 4 wheels balanced.
@ 22K miles it needed a 4 wheel alignment and balancing.
@ 40K 4 tires replaced, balanced and aligned again.
Do you think this indicates a problem with this vehicle or is this common with a G class vehicle.
I currently have 50K miles on my ML's tires and they are still in good condition.

2)
Also what is the reliability of the Turbos?
I have checked this G class site but didn't find any issues with turbos.
I have never owned a vehicle with turbos but have heard bad things about them.
2 neighbors have had many issues with their turbos (not Mercedes vehicles). On turbo disintegrated and wiped out the engine.

3)
There was one entry on the maintenance report with "check out the electrical system" but didn't state any problems repaired.

Otherwise everything else on the maintenance history looks OK.

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me.

Mike
2005 ML500
1990 190E 2.6
1998 ML320 sold

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,043 Posts
Sounds like it has/had a vibration problem that was probably rightly assumed to be wheel balance. The G is quite sensitive to tire balance at speeds >55. It may well be that they kept going back to a tire shop that had a poorly calibrated balancer.

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,388 Posts
Unfortunately G's go through tires almost as fast as they go through petrol. It's not uncommon for 20K mile replacements.

And as Alan stated, tire balance is critical on a G, so many "re-balances/balances" are the norm.

Alignment is not usually an issue for a G as only the front toe is adjustable (and set a 0 degrees no less), but most tires shops try and talk you into an alignment anyway.

As for the turbo reliability, I think that the turbo as an automotive device, these days, is pretty reliable, however, for the 2016 and later G, MB implemented a "hot V" design for the 4.0 liter V8. Outside of racing, this is a pretty unproven design, so for me, the jury is still on the reliability of the motor. Indeed, I have specifically been shopping for a 2013-2015 to avoid the turbo and the potential wallet ache (and also avoid the annoying auto start/stop).

"Check out electrical system" has appeared on almost every G service history that I have every looked at. The complicated electrical system is the Achilles heel of the later G's (only the Japanese seem to be able to master complex electronics that are also reliable).

On the plus side, I believe that with the 2017 you get a larger nav screen and Apply car play.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alan and Flooby,
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts