Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
just as a suggestion. I purchased an old copy of the EPC/WIS on ebay. Maybe $15, but then you have the factory service instructions and the parts catalog.

·
Registered
823 Posts
just as a suggestion. I purchased an old copy of the EPC/WIS on ebay. Maybe $15, but then you have the factory service instructions and the parts catalog.
No need to buy an old copy when you can get a current copy for $6.60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-2019-Mercedes-WIS-ASRA-EPC-Service-Repair-Workshop-Manual-Full-version/123679649919

As for approved fluids, this is the list for MB fluids:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

As for Valvoline Maxlife, read their spec sheet. They just claim it's suitable for applications which calls for it. Doesn't actually say it's on MB's approved list. There's actually a little star next to their 236.14 claim, says they can't recommend it in California because it's illegal for them to say so if the viscometrics doesn't match the OEM, therefore they don't recommend the fluid in California, but they do in the rest of the country.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Document/18452/9e447451-fe75-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

As for Pentosin, it's fine but about double the price per quart from a Shell Distributor. Still I suppose if you don't have one close to you it's fine. I snapped this pic when I was there, they sell to the general public so it's just a regular cash sale. When i called them to ask if they had it, I think they looked it up and said something like they had 100+ cases, how many cases did I want? Just one I said.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
There’s the bevo charts to see what brands meet spec. Where to find which spec should be used. My 2012 E350 4-matic uses atf134fe according to dealer. 7 speed nag2 tranny?. Prior tranny were 5 speed nag1?
Aft134fe is not backward compatible and aft134 is not forward compatible

·
Registered
823 Posts
Right on the back of the bottle "Mercedes Benz NAG-1". The OP's 09 4matic has the 722.6/NAG1 transmission. I own 3 cars with this transmission all using Maxlife ATF at 165k miles, 174k miles and 241k miles. Each one shifts flawlessly.
There's a difference between Recommended by Valvoline and Meets MB-Approval 236.14. For recommended, that mean's it's not on MB's approved sheets, meets means it is.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.14_en.html

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
What's the torque spec on the flex disc bolts? I tried to get it to 60Nm/45 Ft-lb based on an older thread but I can't seem to get there and don't want to f... it up.

The 2 I tried to get to 45 ft-lb are now spinning a little bit loosely...

Edit: 20Nm??????? Seriously?
According to AR28.10-P-2500P -> BA28.10-P-1008-01C Bolt, vibration damper to transfer case Nm 20

·
Registered
44 Posts
As I recall nag1 allowed max life. The nag2 7 speed had a thinner fluid atf134, the newer nag2 got even a thinner fluid, blue atf134fe than was not compatible with prior fluids.
As for torque spec. Mercedes uses torque until x, then turn y degrees. I don’t have the transfer case installation instructions. Buy a computerized manual. They’re cheap now, first 123 model manuals were $200. See ads on eBay for $10 but is down loaded.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
As I recall nag1 allowed max life. The nag2 7 speed had a thinner fluid atf134, the newer nag2 got even a thinner fluid, blue atf134fe than was not compatible with prior fluids.
As for torque spec. Mercedes uses torque until x, then turn y degrees. I don’t have the transfer case installation instructions. Buy a computerized manual. They’re cheap now, first 123 model manuals were $200. See ads on eBay for $10 but is down loaded.
Yep, I just got one on eBay. They said that the download link will be available later in the evening today.
Marathon work weekend it was.
1. Rear diff -> complete
2. Front diff -> complete
3. T-case -> complete. However, pretty sure I have stretched 2 of the flex disc bolts because I was following an older thread here that said 45 lb-ft. I have torqued the rest to 30 lb-ft. Interestingly, one of the two screwed up bolts could be torqued up to 40 lb-ft. So the point of plastic elongation IMO lies somewhere just past 40 ft-lb. I also have the solid hex bolt (not the torx that google seems to show). 15mm socket and 17mm wrench on the nut.
4. Transmission -> complete. New filter and 3.5 liters of Pentosin ATF134 put in. The old lube was well old and dirty. It seems like the PO tried to mess with a couple of the bolts and gave up on the pan. The one bolt hole in the middle on the passenger side is stripped and was the reason for the seepage past the black pan seal :frown
Any recommendations on that?

The rear windshield shade does not work on the car. How does one fix it? When I push the button, I can hear the motor click.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Took the car on a 700 miles trip. Ran like a total champ. I think I'm in love with my Benz :angel
Didn't lose any fluid on the trans dipstick and no weird vibrations. Hit some serious speeds, the engineering of the vehicle really comes through. No vibrations, no weird noises, nothing!

And, now I have the dreaded rear window disable button stuck in the locked position :frown

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
I have the dreaded rear window disable button stuck in the locked position :frown
What's wrong with that?
I don't want even my adult passengers to fool with windows without my knowledge.
1. there is no need for it, unless you cruise Las Vegas Strip
2. I like to know what is happening around me when I drive and sudden noise can be pretty distractive.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
13 Participants
Kajtek1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing