Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

My wife's Honda Pilot appears to be on it's last legs after 7 years and 120k+ miles. We're looking at doing the used car thing this time around and we've found a nicely loaded 2006 R350 with like 65K on it. I know this was the first model year that these were made, so I am a little concerned with there being issues that I may not be aware of since I only JUST started researching this vehicle. Are there any particular things I should be sure to take a look at/put through it's paces on the test drive/inspection before we pull the trigger?

This will be our first Mercedes, if we do pull the trigger, and I believe this one is not made in Germany, so I am a little leary of that, as well. Need I be?

Also, I've heard read that a simple oil change runs like $150?!?!? Is that right? Do you HAVE to take this vehicle to the dealer or can one of those 30-minute places like Jiffy Lube and such do it, too?

Thanks for any and all help that you can throw my way.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Welcome to the R class world. You are correct in saying that the 06 was the first year for this model and because of this they had some problems all of which have been fixed under warranty. So I suggest you look at service records carefully and see for yourself what they have done. Mercedes cars require expensive maintenance and NO you can't go to Jiffy Lube for oil change. You can but trust me you don't want to... They don't even have the correct oil.
An oil change might cost $150 plus but when you consider you only need one once every 10K miles or a year (whichever comes first) then it is the same as your Pilot.

You also want to make sure they changed the transmission fluid at 39K (that's $400 there). Also take it for a spin and pay attention on how it shifts particularly downshift from third to second to first. There are tons of posts regarding this so educate yourself.
Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Also the fact that is not made in Germany means absolutely nothing. All major components are made in Germany and are assembled in Alabama. We live in a globalized world where borders don't mean much anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Followup question. Given that I am NOT buying this from an MB dealer, how can I figure out if this particular vehicle has had work done on it relative to any of the TSBs or had the valve body replaced/reprogramming, etc...? Also, do you know what options I have as far as warranties for a used MB? This won't be a CPO, since it's not from MB, but from Texas Direct Auto.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would write down the VIN number and check Carfax as well as call a Mercedes dealer and ask nicely if they can provide any history. Stress that you will be taking the car to them for service. As far as warranty, you have to call around and get some quotes from 3rd parties. Ask Mercedes too but I would doubt they are willing to provide anything since they didn't sell the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. Looks like the maintenance cost alone has scared her off wanting this. I pointed her to your responses on this thread as well as a few other "satisfaction" threads here which all seemed really positive, but she's not excited about maintenance cost. Looks like we're back to looking at the used Toyota Sienna. :(

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
2006 R350, 1993 Cadillac STS, Airbus A300
32 Posts
Jeff,

I love the R class, but from my experience, I'd avoid the 2006 model. I got slammed with a balance shaft issue (long known to MB) that was so expensive to repair I decided to dump it.

My wife enjoyed the vehicle enough to have me looking for a replacement, but this time I'll stick to a 2008 model and make sure it stays under warranty.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
The 1 issue I have had is the navigation having issues and causing a CEL.

I really like my r350 :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jeff,

I love the R class, but from my experience, I'd avoid the 2006 model. I got slammed with a balance shaft issue (long known to MB) that was so expensive to repair I decided to dump it.

My wife enjoyed the vehicle enough to have me looking for a replacement, but this time I'll stick to a 2008 model and make sure it stays under warranty.

Good Luck!
So the balance shaft issue is occurring on R classes too? I haven't seen any complaints from R owners, only ML owners. I also thought the current class action suit filed was from ML owners. Can someone clarify?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, surprise surprise... my wife changed her mind and the R350 is STILL on the list of possible vehicles. So now it's the R350 vs. the Mazda CX-9 vs. the Acura MDX vs. <insert other midsize SUV type thing with a 3rd row seat option here>. She's no closer to a decision, but her brother is a car mechanic and mentioned that he can get parts and such in case there ever is an issue with the R350. I believe one of the R350's she's looking at still have 7k miles left on the warranty and if I understand correctly, we should be able to buy an extended warranty from Mercedes if we wanted to. Anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nevermind on the warranty question. That was already answered above and somehow I missed it. DUH! :)

regs,
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright! Well, many thanks to all of you here. We are now the proud owners of a 2007 R350 with every bell and whistle possible, including the kick-a$$ Rosen headrest DVD players. WOO HOO! I haven't ridden in it yet (it's my wife's car), but I'm told it's awesome. My 3 and 7-year old midgets love it to pieces too. Here's a quick pick snapped by the dealer.

Thanks again to everyone!

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
Alright! Well, many thanks to all of you here. We are now the proud owners of a 2007 R350 with every bell and whistle possible, including the kick-a$$ Rosen headrest DVD players. WOO HOO! I haven't ridden in it yet (it's my wife's car), but I'm told it's awesome. My 3 and 7-year old midgets love it to pieces too. Here's a quick pick snapped by the dealer.

Regards,
Jeff
Looks good.
Welcome to the R club.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Congrats, you will enjoy and appreciate the vehicle for what it is as you get a chance to drive it more. Welcome to the club.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts

Regards,
Jeff
Welcome to the R-Club, the R-Class will grow on you, especially after you take it on a road trip, 5-6 hrs stints and you still feel fresh, it is amazingly comfortable for long runs on the highway, the long wheel base smoothens out the ride

1 - 17 of 17 Posts