Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
07 C280 4MATIC
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2000 E430 4Matic at a local car lot that specializes in used high end cars. I've attached a few pics from their website. I test drove the car today, and wanted an opinion on if it sounds like a good deal.

It has 63,000 miles and is a two owner car that was garage kept since new. To say it is clean is an understatement - it is pristine. There isn't even a stone chip anywhere in this car. The dealer was nice enough to put it on the lift for me, and even the underneath of the car looks new. No leaks, no oil, no wet spots, the exhaust is even still shiny. It has new brakes, new tires, the 60,000 mile service was just recently performed at the Benz dealer, and it has been maintained by the same dealer since new. The asking price is $12,900 with a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty.

I checked on kbb.com, and the value is listed at $15,500 Retail and about $13k - $14k Private Party, so this sounds like a good price. Of course I'm going to try to negotiate the price down even more though. The only two things the car does not have are heated seats and a CD changer. Neither are really a big deal to me.

So does this sound like a good deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Although the car is in really good condition IMO over 13k$ is way too much...

Try asking for the car fax and service records for the car and get their recent maintenance performed on the car. Even if a car is barely driven in its life time fluids still need to be replaced and refilled.

·
Registered
07 C280 4MATIC
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not over $13,000....it's $12,900 currently. They do have service records, and oil and transmission fluid were just changed, as well as brakes pads all around and rotors on the front.

I've owned several Mercedes and BMWs, so I know they require more maintenance than the average car. But are there any reliability issues with this body style, and with this engine or the 4Matic system that I should be aware of? Are the transmissions reliable?

Thanks again for your opinions and advice.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
It's not over $13,000....it's $12,900 currently. They do have service records, and oil and transmission fluid were just changed, as well as brakes pads all around and rotors on the front.

I've owned several Mercedes and BMWs, so I know they require more maintenance than the average car. But are there any reliability issues with this body style, and with this engine or the 4Matic system that I should be aware of? Are the transmissions reliable?

Thanks again for your opinions and advice.
Well that's a good thing that they have the service records for the car, and that the transmission fluid has been changed.

Check for any accident records? and call MB give them the VIN and ask if this car has had any recalls performed on it (spring perch and door seals rusting as well as certain harmonic balancers depending on their part number failing and causing major damage).

W210's are pretty reliable and some people say they were one of the best MB's ever built. Throw that on to our great collection of DIY's on the forum and that makes it a fairly inexpensive car to maintain even if you are a novice with cars.

The engine is bulletproof and I haven't heard about it failing, the 4Matic system is a lot more reliable compared to the old 4Matics that MB used as this system doesnt involve any complicated clutches or differential locks that could wear out or cause trouble. The transmission is reliable as well but if neglected will fail. MB said that it was "sealed for life" but later they decided that every certain mileage (forgot what number it was) you should get a transmission fluid change. CPS/MAF are common issues as well as rust which is my on going battle up here in Canada.

Heres a link to a thread showing some other common issues for our cars:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1346468-relatively-common-issues-w210.html

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
I bought my 2002 4matic wagon two years ago for around 12k with 75k -- still had one year remaining on the extended MB warranty. Car was in very good shape except for some scratches on the hood.

That was two years ago and wagons go for more than standard E320's - yours is two years older with less miles and is a 430 -- and no scratches.

I would see what Edmunds lists for the value. But I would think it is an 11-12k car from a used dealer with a power-train warranty.

My car was kept by the first owner for 4 years and then bought two more times from a dealer as a CPO car -- so it was always covered by a MB warranty. I say that because it obviously always went to the dealer for servicing. But ...MB paid for an enormous amount of work the year I had it under warranty. I would review what has been done to your car and would never get an MB's out of factory warranty without a purchase inspection.

I have purchased a couple used SL's and always took them to the dealer for an inspection and review -- If they know the car you can quickly find out if you have a gem ... if so paying an extra thousand or so will be cheap in the end.

These cars tend to require a lot of work in the 70-80k 10 year time frame -- all the rubber stuff like flex discs -- mounts etc start to fail.

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,489 Posts
Eva89,
I can't see where your location is on my phone, so please excuse odd regional comments.
While it is nice for the seller to say that the 60K service was performed, I would suggest you read the service report and judge what was done. Check the fluids yourself as it sounds like you have experience. The transmission service might have been a 4 quart job versus a full fluid change with filter and trans connector.
As was pointed out the mileage is in the MAF, CPS, motor mount, stabilizer bushings, belts, idler pulley, tensioner replacement range and is approaching O2 sensor replacement as well.
Is this car in an area where smog tests are performed? Would be good to see those results if possible.
No heated seats suggest a Southern climate. The CD changer has many other choices, so no big deal.
Can you scan the car to see what codes pop up? I'd run the HVAC tests as well.
Most of these comments may serve you to lower the price, but car lust will often blur the senses.
It looks nice from the picture. Negotiate and have fun if you buy.
Skippy

Sent from phone.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
1. White car is for woman.
2. I'd buy it because the driver's seat looks brand new, no sagging at the bottom.
3. For the next 3yr/36K miles, this forum may provide some assurance, a hook to iPod/mp3 playerr, no warranty.

:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
White car IS beautiful. However, this is over priced. KBB and NADA are crap. If we went by those, there would be ads for 84 380SL's going for $25,000 everywhere. Your best bet is to search Craigslist, Autotrader and Ebay. You will get an idea of prices and ranges. Service records are a must. I don't care what this guy sells or how many high line cars he has, most don't give a #@#$ after your check clears.

Beautiful car tho!! I like it. I would present him with $9000 in cash. If he does not like it, walk. Plenty more out there!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
>>I would present him with $9000 in cash.

Clean cars sell easily.
I think $9K was about how much the dealer paid for trade-in. Give them some profit, $2K-$3K if they're not desperate to sell.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Start at nine. There are SO MANY used cars for sale.

You will be amazed the power of counting out 90 One Hundred Dollar bills on the hood of the car.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I think before giving a figure to the OP to go make an offer, everyone should provide the price he paid for his car and upload a few photos of driver's seat, radio's volume knob, floor mats, etc.

·
Registered
2005 S500 4Matic, 2010 C300 4Matic, 2006 Porsche Carrera S, 2016 Porsche GT4, 1986 Porsche Carrera
86 Posts
Clean cars with low miles are hard to find now. That is a fair price as long as everything checks out.

·
Registered
Current: 2006 E500 4 Matic Past: 99 ML430, 99 E430
180 Posts
For your reference, I helped a friend bought 2003 E500 (special order) from the original owner with only $10000 about six months ago. Car is in pristine condition with two sets of wheels (one is original, one is premium mercedes wheels), not a scratch and even headlights looks like only 2 years old. I would consider that as a deal.
Yours is more than 3 years older but has 30k miles less. However, the W211 looks much better than W210, not even to mention the airmatic suspension which you can adjust height, and switch between comfort, sport 1, sport 2 modes. If you really likes this car, I would think around $8k would make it a fair deal.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
A car with 60k is in another world then one with 90k - you can't even compare them -- and you will (rightly) pay a premium for the 60k.

You don't want an early w211.

Nirvana would be a 2002 with 50k for 8k -- but it is not going to happen. Paying top dollar for the best one you can find is the cheapest way to go.

Because I live in a few locations and have some interests -- I need a few second cars in different spots ..... Without question the best used cars have been the low mile ones that I paid top dollar for -- and normally directly from the owner.

I don't want a second car that looks like a second car and that is what most of the w210's look like that people are paying 8k for.

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC(sold) 1992 500sl(sold) 2000 e320 4matic wagon (sold) 2002 E55 AMG (sold) 1999 SLK 230
32 Posts
White car IS beautiful. However, this is over priced. KBB and NADA are crap. If we went by those, there would be ads for 84 380SL's going for $25,000 everywhere. Your best bet is to search Craigslist, Autotrader and Ebay. You will get an idea of prices and ranges. Service records are a must. I don't care what this guy sells or how many high line cars he has, most don't give a #@#$ after your check clears.

Beautiful car tho!! I like it. I would present him with $9000 in cash. If he does not like it, walk. Plenty more out there!
Take a quick look on craigslist and you will see the amount of fools that DO go by the kbb and nada values! I saw a 1994 500sl with 120,000 miles on there for $21,000. Im not lying, i had to do a double take. I buy used mercedes quite frequently and people think just cause its a benz that its worth its weight in gold and ask for that price. I go by the kbb values but the trade in is more realistic. Regarding the OP's question if the e320 is worth it. The short answer is yes if you think you are going to be drivng it for years, and no if you desire getting any money out of it when you sell it. I could find you a newer model with a few more miles for a lot cheaper. Id say continue your search unless youre happy with that particular car then go for it but remember, when searching patience pays off in leagues! If you want it cheaper just say the price youre wiling to pay, dont faulter, and be wiling to walk away armed with the knowledge that mercedes did make more than one of these cars and they did sell them to more than one responsible individual.

·
Registered
Current: 2006 E500 4 Matic Past: 99 ML430, 99 E430
180 Posts
You can pay whatever you are comfortable with. What I am trying to say is that, if you search hard, you can actually find top conditon second hand mercedes for a much cheaper price. I just did a quick search and here is one:
Cars for Sale: 2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 Sedan in Howard Beach, NY 11414: Sedan Details - 325214625 - AutoTrader.com

You can still negotiate down the asking $9500 to $8500, which is normal based on my experience.

A car with 60k is in another world then one with 90k - you can't even compare them -- and you will (rightly) pay a premium for the 60k.

You don't want an early w211.

Nirvana would be a 2002 with 50k for 8k -- but it is not going to happen. Paying top dollar for the best one you can find is the cheapest way to go.

Because I live in a few locations and have some interests -- I need a few second cars in different spots ..... Without question the best used cars have been the low mile ones that I paid top dollar for -- and normally directly from the owner.

I don't want a second car that looks like a second car and that is what most of the w210's look like that people are paying 8k for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts