Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a 2004 E500 at a local MB dealer, Barrier MB in Bellevue, WA. Test drove it, and liked it all around. It is certified.

But warranty or not, I don't have time to deal with a constant stream of problems. Wife drives a Lexus that has had zero problems in 30k (its also very boring).

If one searches the internet, all one come across is a contant stream of horror stories. But I have to assume that there are satisfied owners out there.

Whats the deal? Is MBs current reputation as selling junkers deserved?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 E250BT 4Matic
172 Posts
harddrive said:
If one searches the internet, all one come across is a contant stream of horror stories. But I have to assume that there are satisfied owners out there.
Take a look at www.edmunds.com and look up MB E Class, then search "consumer reviews".
You will find many positive reviews from owners. You can search by model and year.
Compared to the negative stories @ Consumer Reports, you will be surprised. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does seem that the only people who take the time to post online are those that have had a lot of problems. And one has to wonder if the problem is the car, or the dealer they are going to.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
126 Posts
I could sit here all night talking about problems with W211... but on the other hand I could about every other chassis. make damn sure you have a warranty, and use it. anything bothers you and feels funny. get it checked out.

Starmark is a glorious warranty to have. not saying that is going to need it as soon as you drive away.... but I have seen vehicles show up with a horrible problem after years of trouble free driving and get covered under starmark warranty no questions asked.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
2003 E500 certified now 61000 miles. Only issue was at 30,000 miles water valve to heater went out replaced under warranty.

Brake pads every 30,000 miles and had to get alignment done at specialty shop to stop tire wear. This is what I would consider normal all cars have stuff.

Very solid car but we did not get the navigation system which has caused electronic / control issues. Jim

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport
144 Posts
I've got an '03 E500, which is supposed to be the "problem child" of the w211. It's got 77,000 miles now and every option except the pano roof and nav (I have an aftermarket system) and I've had very few problems. The "unlock" function of the keyless go feature on the driver's door handle has quit working, but when you think about the number of times that door has been opened and closed in 77,000 miles, it's really not that bad. My driver's side rear door also doesn't like to open when it's cold outside (just started this winter), but now that it's warm, it works fine and I can't get it duplicate the problem for the shop. In short, all cars will have their problems, and most people that come to these boards are either car enthusiasts or looking for advice on fixing problems. That's probably why it seems you see a lot a negative comments. There are plenty of happy owners out there.

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
Another data point.

Bought my E500 4 matic Wagon in Feb 2006 with 9000 miles under the CPO program from MB Manhattan.

1. tire pressure sending unit in wheel malfunctioned
2. heater control module replaced because it was blowing hot air out of the rear vents when the a/c was on
3. regulator for the blower motor and the blower motor were replaced because the fan was not behaving correctly. It never failed it just did not do what it was supposed to do.
4. Power steering was groaning. filled up the reservoir and repaired a leak I did not know I had.

I now have 32,000 on it. These are relatively minor problems that were all fixed under warranty and none of them were serious enough to take me out of my way to get them repaired. I simply left the car in the driveway and MB Annopolis picked it up, repaired it ,mthen dropped it off and I used my backup car so the whole event was essentially invisible to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All
I am also a newbie, and was in the same dilemma. I had a 97 E 420 with the typical problems as posted on the sites. Never a problem with the eng. or trans. I was looking for the W211 and did a great deal of research. I read every thing good and bad. I decided on a 2004 E500 with 35K, and have been very happy, so far. I have an extended warranty for peace of mind and to save on any major repairs. I expect problems as I would with any car, but the look, drive, and performance sells it.
Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts