Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3-16
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an 85 2.3-16 that was owned by a car lover friend of mine who died recently, and I have a chance to pick it up for a (relative) song. Oh heck, I'm going to get it, I saw it and just fell in love with it's understated elegance.

Can anyone give me a brain dump on living with these vehicles? What to do, what not to do, what to look out for.

As it's an 85 and it's in the USA, it is a gray market car. Registers around 59k miles, but the speedo was replaced during importation, so mileage is unknown. Has yellow fog lights in the front, I've been told that this was done only in France. Haven't tried to start it yet, it's in a barn where he parked it before he became ill, and it has been sitting for about a year and a half. I did look under the hood, and it was fairly clean - no cracks or ugly things around that beautiful exhaust header. One chip out of one of the skirts near a rear door, otherwise the body looked very good (anthracite color). Driver's seat has a seam separating, other seats are mint - that is one fancy interior they put on these cars.

Is it advisable to go ahead and replace the cam chain, and where do I find one? My other fun toy is a '90 Lotus Esprit, so I've had some experience with difficult cam belt changes.

I'm also hearing that I should plan on suspension bushing replacement, if they have any age at all on them. Source for those?

The one thing I did notice was the rear end was sitting down a bit and there's nothing heavy in the boot. Won't know more until I try to fire it up this weekend, but does that signify trouble with the SLS? Or do they do this if left alone for long periods of time?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom. I remember my friend telling me about this car a couple of years ago, but I had never actually seen it in person. When I saw it sitting in the barn, it said - take me home with you.

--John

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,229 Posts
John this is my all time favorite car Cosworth 16V,sound like this : Wow what a barn found.If your VIN # like this : WDBDA ( 4 digits)___ it's a NAM model and VIN # WDB ( 7 digits_)F___ it's an Euro model . On 25 years old car parts are slowly brake down over time ,take all their ( Owner) advises then bring home with you slowly shorting its out.Just to be sure car has basic stuff before you start the engine after "sleeping beauty" to prevent broken any thing else. SLS will rise the car up if engine is running due to SLS pump (at the exhaust cam) .Engine timing chain or not you must find out the actual mileage because assumable at 59K miles there is no reason for t/chain replacement soon what so ever.I would tow the car home , flush the Gtank ,oil,fluid change prior start it. ..bottom line is we're at this forum has lotsa good indy mechanics help you based on their experiences like jippi:D who changing his engine in the -20F mid of winter...:D
Post lot of pics fill your profile and G/luck..

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3-16
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips on what to do before starting. It should warm up this weekend, so I'm going to give it a more thorough examination. It's sitting about three miles from my home, so Big Duke (my 06 F350) and my buddy's gooseneck flatbed trailer can get it moved. Haven't had a MB since my old 450SEL, this should be fun.

Looks like I'll get it for either $1k, or she may just give it to me, as I just arranged the sale of his other two cars: 86 635CSI, and (*sigh*) 82 MB 300GD G-Wagen that I would love to have bought but didn't have the money.

The gentleman had fine taste in vehicles.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,466 Posts
Thanks for the tips on what to do before starting. It should warm up this weekend, so I'm going to give it a more thorough examination. It's sitting about three miles from my home, so Big Duke (my 06 F350) and my buddy's gooseneck flatbed trailer can get it moved. Haven't had a MB since my old 450SEL, this should be fun.

Looks like I'll get it for either $1k, or she may just give it to me, as I just arranged the sale of his other two cars: 86 635CSI, and (*sigh*) 82 MB 300GD G-Wagen that I would love to have bought but didn't have the money.

Welcoe to the forum.
The FAQ sticky on top has the link to a free to download Mercedes Benz W201 manual.
Cheers

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,229 Posts

With that $$$ ( free is better) it will be my garage at no time..
Side note : change your mind give me an PM hehehe.....

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
John this is my all time favorite car Cosworth 16V,sound like this : Wow what a barn found.If your VIN # like this : WDBDA ( 4 digits)___ it's a NAM model and VIN # WDB ( 7 digits_)F___ it's an Euro model .
There won't be a North American version in 1985.

Since I also own a 1985 2.3-16, I'd be curious to find out whether it has the dual or single nozzle hood; whether the a/c was a custom retrofit; and what differences there were in the equipment level.

If the car was "federalized" when imported to the US, the importer would have swapped out the adjustable headlights with US units, so check how the vacuum lines were capped off.

The rear tail light lenses would also have been changed to US units.

The KPH speedometer would have been swapped to MPH.

It's also possible that an O2 sensor was installed after getting here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts