Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
2009 E350 W211 Arctic White (dads car)
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people of the GL thread. For some reason I started looking at salvage yards. I know there is a very good one very close to me and I just went to their website. I've looked at their stuff before, but didn't think much of it, I just wanted to see what they have. Now I've been looking at used cars and have kinda given up for now. My dad recommended looking at some minor damage cars for a few grand. Looking specifically for Mercedes, I used the local search, and after a bit I found an amazing 2009 GL450 in either Sand Beige Metallic or Pewter Metallic, not sure what color it was. After a while, I kept looking and I found a perfect looking 2009 S550, but after Carfaxing it, it wasn't as promising as the Carfax from the GL. The GL is at the location very close to me in the Inland Empire and the current bid was $1,000. The car is going on sale on Tuesday, which gives us a bit of time to just check it out. Bodywork was perfect, not even a single scratch, a beautiful interior which was in a attractive color. I never thought about purchasing a GL until now. Reading the Carfax, I would expect it to be bad I was wrong, since it was salvage. It was a total loss and the airbags deployed. But it was a 1-owner vehicle which compared to the S-Class had 3. Also compared to the S-Class, it had been properly maintained at a dealer until it was crashed 2 years ago! That's what I find as the weirdest thing. It had been repaired since then and even after that it had been maintained at a Mercedes dealer in Anaheim in 2011. That was the last record of the car on that report. My dad made an account on the site, and will definitely check it out soon before it's selling date on the 31st. Will also post pics. Will keep you guys updated. Can't download the pictures enlarged, so i'll just link it.

Copart

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey people of the GL thread. For some reason I started looking at salvage yards. I know there is a very good one very close to me and I just went to their website. I've looked at their stuff before, but didn't think much of it, I just wanted to see what they have. Now I've been looking at used cars and have kinda given up for now. My dad recommended looking at some minor damage cars for a few grand. Looking specifically for Mercedes, I used the local search, and after a bit I found an amazing 2009 GL450 in either Sand Beige Metallic or Pewter Metallic, not sure what color it was. After a while, I kept looking and I found a perfect looking 2009 S550, but after Carfaxing it, it wasn't as promising as the Carfax from the GL. The GL is at the location very close to me in the Inland Empire and the current bid was $1,000. The car is going on sale on Tuesday, which gives us a bit of time to just check it out. Bodywork was perfect, not even a single scratch, a beautiful interior which was in a attractive color. I never thought about purchasing a GL until now. Reading the Carfax, I would expect it to be bad I was wrong, since it was salvage. It was a total loss and the airbags deployed. But it was a 1-owner vehicle which compared to the S-Class had 3. Also compared to the S-Class, it had been properly maintained at a dealer until it was crashed 2 years ago! That's what I find as the weirdest thing. It had been repaired since then and even after that it had been maintained at a Mercedes dealer in Anaheim in 2011. That was the last record of the car on that report. My dad made an account on the site, and will definitely check it out soon before it's selling date on the 31st. Will also post pics. Will keep you guys updated. Can't download the pictures enlarged, so i'll just link it.

Copart
Best thing to do is go to the lot with someone who does bodywork. Look at the GL in person and see what the body guy says. I know some people that purchase vehicles from copart. They swear by it.

·
Registered
'08 GL320CDI
53 Posts
salvaged does not mean damaged. It could be salvage with just a few minor scratches. It is up to insurance companies to decide. I've bought vehicles on copart before. Just do a carfax before you bid on one and you will thank me later.

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
salvaged does not mean damaged. It could be salvage with just a few minor scratches. It is up to insurance companies to decide. I've bought vehicles on copart before. Just do a carfax before you bid on one and you will thank me later.
I did do a car fax already and it was crashed into a fixed object which is what the report said. Didn't get to see the car and it sold yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did do a car fax already and it was crashed into a fixed object which is what the report said. Didn't get to see the car and it sold yesterday.

Well, I thought the car had sold, but the listing was removed and it has since then been relisted, the bid is now at $15k, a bit high at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought our GL450 off copart. Fully loaded w/relatively high miles for a great price. I think it was a dealer's car and some of the interior parts were missing. I am also able to bid/buy cars under a dealer's license through iaai.com, and this was by far a better buy than anything I saw over there (surprisingly). Keep your eyes and options open and you can snag a good deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought our GL450 off copart. Fully loaded w/relatively high miles for a great price. I think it was a dealer's car and some of the interior parts were missing. I am also able to bid/buy cars under a dealer's license through iaai.com, and this was by far a better buy than anything I saw over there (surprisingly). Keep your eyes and options open and you can snag a good deal.
Details? Options? Year? Price? Don't keep me in suspense.

105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Details? Options? Year? Price? Don't keep me in suspense.
It was a 2009 and seemed close to or fully loaded and I wasn't available when the final auction took place so I don't know how much it sold for, it hasn't been on the website so I am guessing it sold, a lot of auction and buy it now cars at Copart don't sell.

·
Registered
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
234 Posts
some douche ran a red light couple months ago and ran into our Gl320 at about 50km an hour.... the damage was between 25-30k... but when you looked at it it looked like 5 grand in damage... be careful... thats all I can say

·
Registered
364 Posts
Some more warnings on repair costs:

Someone backed into my fender and barely damaged any other parts. They missed the tire, rim, door, and even didn't crack the plastic fender line. ONLY the fender was damaged and it isn't bad (one body shop even proposed repairing the fender rather than having to replace it)

It is literally 8"x8" of damage to the very bottom of my fender.

Repair involves repairing (or replacing) the fender, and painting it.

Fender is held on by 10 bolts and the labour to remove/install it is 1.5 hours... so it's not that much work obviously.

I figured $1000 or less

Quotes (in Canadian dollars)
MB dealer - wants to repair fender as replacing is too expensive - $1600
Other shop - they are replacing the fender - $2500

The fender alone is almost $900 (for a primered fender that still has to be painted!)

Can you imagine if they scratch the rim and bent the door also? It would have EASILY been $5000-8000 to repair it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am surprised because I just had someone paint my W220 S-Class a few years ago.

Rust spots all over, he repaired it all
Didn't use the MB specified paint (Glasurit?) but he's a really good body shop and did some excellent work. Repainted the car in the original colour perfectly.
No overspray or other problems. I did have to take the car to have it power buffed after he was done because it didn't look totally perfect.

I paid $2000 and that INCLUDES two new front fenders. They were so rusty he said it was best to replace them. They were aftermarket, but they cost $300 for BOTH! (included in the $2000 above)

I know there is more of a market for W220 front fenders, but $900 for a GL fender and $150 for a W220 one seems like a huge difference!

Even used GL fenders are $600+ on car-part.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts