Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Euro 500 SEC
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, depending on the solid advise I get from members here to help steer me.

I just test drove an '00 SL500. 49K on the clock.

I cycled the top three times and TRIED to check for leaks in Hydraulic cylinders but couldn't locate them! Top operated fine.

Steering wheel was very slightly off center. Car seemed to track straight and I hit brakes hard several times. No pulling.

Owner told me she "heard a noise" and had Benz dealer check car. One rear wheel bearing was replaced, however, the dealer decided to check the harmonic balancer. Owner couldn't tell me why. While driving the car< I noticed no drive or powertrain noise.

Hardtop appears it has never been on the car. While driving with soft top up, I felt there was a fair amount of wind noise. Car had just been washed and evidence of water was along the interior of the soft top along the edge by the windshield.

Everything else seemed fine. Paint was very good. New rubber. Only problem with interior was slight rub to drivers seat bolster and soft top handle in front center of top was broken off.

Can anyone tell me how to check vert top cylinders? Any thing else to check for?

I believe I can buy the car for $14,000. Is this fair?

As always, thanks in advance for feedback!

·
Registered
Current: 1986 560SL Previous: 1998 SL500 1993 300CE
76 Posts
Manheim Auction site says:

2 sold in June with 47-48k mikes, one went for $11400 and one $10000. The site says wholesale/auction price should be about $11050

Dealer retail should be between 14 and 16k depending on condition. I would start my negotiations with her at 10500. Money talks!

Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Get Carfax, autocheck, worth the money if you're really serious about buying any used car.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 SL-2
170 Posts
Does it have the SL1 or SL2 package ?

I tested 6 and had 3 given formal inspections. Those took about 2 hours per car, at 100.00 each, up on the rack.

Download the owners manual and study the controls, then try them, such as the cruise, the climate control, the radio/CD/casette, the electric antenna, heated seats (SL2), along with service records.

I paid 20K for my '99 with 34K miles 3 years ago, perfect cosmetic and running condition, and good tires/brakes. Service records indicated American Service Center (Arlington Va) part replacements/repairs/campaigns/and service intervals.

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
899 Posts
Hardtop appears it has never been on the car. While driving with soft top up, I felt there was a fair amount of wind noise. Car had just been washed and evidence of water was along the interior of the soft top along the edge by the windshield.

Everything else seemed fine. Paint was very good. New rubber. Only problem with interior was slight rub to drivers seat bolster and soft top handle in front center of top was broken off.

Can anyone tell me how to check vert top cylinders? Any thing else to check for?

I believe I can buy the car for $14,000. Is this fair?

As always, thanks in advance for feedback!
Look for any signs of oil around the sunvisor area or the A pillar. Those are the first to go, usually. When you cycle the top a few times, look for any signs of leaks by the rear tires (that's where it will drain to). Other than that, the rear cylinders are visible under the tonneau cover area and from the trunk area behind the hinges.
I find mine is a little noisy with the top up, too. Don't expect it to be whisper quiet with the soft top! Much quieter with the hardtop, but who wants that!
Price is at the upper end, so it should be near perfect with records.
It does sound like a nice car. Pictures?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts