Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 2002 C230K with 46K miles on it. I was just wondering what I should look at as far as problems are concerned?

It seems some problems are paint, poor gas mileage, but what else should I look at/worry about when looking at this car?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
see if you can buy extended warranty.
I have the same year and it has some minor problems and by the time I add up the expenses, it cost the same as the extended warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have an 02 coupe that has 14000 miles on it and one of the wheel bearings is starting to go bad. havent heard of that problem with any others though so idk....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 02 Coupe with 125,000 miles. Driven just about all of them myself.

Lets see. If the car is out of warranty, insure that the:

Modules under both the Drivers and Passenger seat have been replaced. This caused a low current draw that would drain the battery. I think there was a replacement campaign on this.

02 Cars had weak bushings. Get underneath and look for crakcing on the the bushings and tie rods. This can lead to poor handling.

Listen to the car closely. Try to hear and strange sounds, be it squealing or otherwise from the S/C. Seperate from any sounds at the S/C, there is going to be a normal engagement sound when the car is started cold. Don't worry about that.

These cars eventually get a problem with the A/C & heater ducting. Under the drivers side there is flap that moves air from the bottom vents to the car to the top air vents. If the flap doesnt work, you only get air at your feet. Kind of annoying when it is hot out. You can hear this problem at start up. It will sound like a continually whirring as you turn the key to the on position (dont run the car), and start the A/C. Run the heat from the top vents to the bottom. You'll know it if you hear it. Remember, it is a slight whirring. Not too loud, but it is the flap trying to open and close.

The Data Display on the Dash can sometimes get half light. It comes out as half of the display showing up in full light, and the other top half being dim.

I have heard that the Cats on these cars go bad at about 60k. I haven't experienced it but others have. To my knowledge, you won't know about this until it happens.

Good luck, and enjoy the car!

E

·
Registered
2002 C230 K, new 05 lights, Evolution package
29 Posts
Got my C230K last month. No real major problems as yet.. just the other day though I noticed noises when taking a corner and braking.. could this be tie rod ends, shocks / springs? it's not a hectic noise, just when going over certain bumps and turning.. any ideas that this could be? before i got to a mechanic OR dealer.. MB dealers are pretty decent price wise - when compared to ther auto repair places. what do you guys think?

Other than that.. the cars a complete dream to drive. major upgrade for me.. drive quality, performance.. sum dealers trying to sell me a sold roof top, said the panaramic motors usually give in... I went for the panaramic roof and so far it's been behaving itself quite nicely..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same year with about 20k in miles. car handles great. I have one headlight issue and some front, probably bushing squeaking. Car gets great gas mileage and is a lot funner to drive than my Mustang GT.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts