Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry all, I’m sure these posts get old. I am at work and going to look at this car in the morning- also have the dealer go over it. So, sorry for taking the low road here, time is of the essence.  Thanks in advance for this great forum!

Here’s what I know. 2001 C240 6-speed w/ sport package, 58K on it for 11,500. All dealer maintained, 2nd owner, w/ all maintenance since new done at our local dealer, who is doing the pre-purchase inspection and can provide records. Service mgr (friend of a friend) says he’ll fax me the results of the inspection in the morning. Owner says he bought the 6 speed wanting it, but his wife hates it- they’re looking for a wagon with an auto now. He sounds like a true enthusiast, I believe him. Also has new tires and recent oil change. Doesn’t sound as though this guy has skimped on anything.

So- are there known issues I need to look out for? I’ve read the MAF can be a trouble spot, but in the big pic small beans. Anything else? I need something reliable, and have always had Audi’s and BMW- I really would like to try an MB (have a few friends w/ them, and really love them.)

Huge, huge thanks all!

Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help would be great. Friday a.m. is when

he'll be taking it to the dealer for the pre-purch inspection.

Gotta admit, I'm duly heebed. The more I read about this year of the 240, the '01, the more apprehensive I get. I've seen lots of horror stories on electrical and virtually everything else. Now I've had German cars all my life so I'm certainly not scared of them, but I do need reliability w/out exhorbitant repair costs. Just not sure. Guess it's worth the 100 dollar splurge on the pre-purchase inspection and also look at it's maintenance history very carefully.

All that said, it seems an awful lot of car for about 11K.

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
2002 C320; 17" AMG 5-split-spoke wheels with Michelin PS2 tires
111 Posts
You can't really go wrong at that price, but be prepared to get blown off the line by mid-90's Tauruses. You're sitting on nearly 3600 lbs with 168 hp. If it is kept up well it is a very nice car to look at, but if you're looking for something enjoyable to drive, look elsewhere.

I speak from experience. I had a 240 for 8 months and traded it in for a 320 2 years ago. Can't think of a single thing I liked better on the 240 except the price.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The C240's are a misunderstood car, very, very slow off the line but actually reasonably peppy, maybe even faster than the C230 at higher speeds. The 6-speed will really help, it will alleviate some of the lag caused by the auto tranny, especially the hunting it does searching for the right gear. Also, these cars had initial quality issues that made a lot of people angry and that's why you hear bad things. The reality is, these issues have already been taken care of under warranty, the car will be as realiable as any 7 year old car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 C240 and have had a number of electrical problems.

It recently started stalling at stop lights and in traffic while driving, the warning lamp turns red and says "alternator/battery visit shop", however I am 100% sure that both are fine. From that point the car will not start again for 10-15 minutes. Then after sitting it starts up like nothing ever happened.

From my research it appears to be common for this to be caused by the crankshaft position sensor, but we will see when it comes out of service. I have spent a lot of money repairing this car and expected a more reliable car when I bought it years ago, then spent $1000's maintaining it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the '01 C240 MT w/ almost 100k on the clock. Given it's the first production year car, it has been very cheap to maintain. OEM parts are really easy to find on the net. So far, only alternator regulator, power window regulator, and some suspension work like front stabiliser bar end linkage needed perlacement on top of the regular maintenance. I do the work myself, so only the parts, which are cheap anyway, cost me. Wonderful car and good on gas too - I get long term average of 29mpg in winter and 32 in summer.
I would recommend the car to anyone, except for those winers and chronic complainers - but hey, there is plenty of hondas and toyotas around for their fahrvergnugen :-0)))))

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old post but does anyone know the star screw size on the crankshaft position sensor for an 02 c240?? Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts