Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 240 for a little while now and im digging the tankiness of it, but as a typical american, i want more.

more tankiness can only be a good thing! my driver is a small chrysler neon. quick, but it rattles, squeaks and well, lets face it, if i get hit, ill be smeared allover the ford emblem of someones excursion.

i know i wont find a nice older g-wagen around here(birmingham, alabama) so here are the questions:

when were these things first imported? the older the better for me. i adore that old german car smell(ive owned a handful of vws because of it)

what are the ranges in price? ebay has two older models, one for a hundred bux bid(with a higher reserve, im sure) and one for 10 grand, big gap. i'd like to get somewhere in the middle if possible.

a 4 cylinder is much to small for this car! im going to bet mercedes doesnt have the issues that underpowered american cars have though(owned a 4cyl taurus once...)

and lastly..
Are these buggers fun? ive learned to giggle at how slow the 240 is, but its almost painful! a manual will most likely cure that, though.

thanks for your time!

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
im not sure what to tell you.

A few guys on here have taken out the old motor and done GM swaps to v8's.....

europia use to import them and still do. More than likley yours came from them. They will have eveything you need but be ready to pay major bucks. Thats why the ones in good shape bring the money.

You eiter pay not or pay later.

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
1979 was the first year of production. Due to their durable nature many have survived. What you are likely seeing is old ones coming in under the 25 yr old exepmtion rules. Watch closely for rust on these. There are some already in the US and likely in better shape, but also more money. The majority of the really old ones are probably 4-cyl models as the 6 wasn't availible right away as far as I know. The 230G is probably a little quicker than your 240, but still very slow. Those are the cheap ones. To get a fuel injected six 280GE will likely cost you more like $12-15k.

Are they fun? They are an absolute blast. You will definately get plenty of attention as they remain very rare. They are extremely durable and easy to work on. If you do any off-roading they are really at home on the dirt.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
If you're interested in an engine swap, go to www.advanceadapters.com. You might just be able to stick a Wrangler V8 engine, but don't do anything without doing your homework.

Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. The worst case scenario is you've just spent 5K on an engine that doesn't fit your transfer case or transmission or your G.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a chrysler engine in a real benz?

no thank you!

heh heh i do not own a g-wagen as of yet, i have a w123 chassis 240 diesel sedan. great little (noisey) beast! i like to revv it up really loudly like my neighbor likes to his mustang(what is it with these mustang people anyway, dont they know fuel injection makes the car run, not the pedal?)

anyway, im jabbering. thanks to all that posted! i know itll be a collectors car sometime in the future, but 12 grand on an old machine is too much for me to spend! maybe after the MFA, eh?

thanks again-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts