Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ML500, 1999 C230 KOMPRESSOR, 1993 300E, 1964 220SE, 1994 E320, 2001 E320 4MATIC, 1991 380SEL
47 Posts
Headlight sockets???

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Apparently it does take an MBA to work on these cars. ;) :D

That is the left side H7 socket; you can see how discolored the insulation is, too. I have a temp fix in place (bulb held in by locking ring removed from the socket, with 1/4" spade connectors crimped on the wires) while I wait to decide if I want to order the repair kits from parts.com or get them at the local dealer. I called them earlier today, the guy said they were about $11 but he would let me have them for $5.50 each. That's a fair price, but I hate that he was making it sound like a deal when $5.50 is actually list. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That link is also in the stickies, but I don't know anyone who has actually tried it as a repair for our cars. The picture looks like it will plug into the bulb okay, but it lacks the detents for the locking ring (omitted in my pictures since it's, well, locking the bulb in place) and is also offset a little. Having the socket securely locked into the locking ring is what makes the bulb change so easy, so if that socket doesn't properly fit the locking ring, it's no better than just having spade-lug connectors.

I'm assuming (and we all know that danger, right?!?) that the one from MB is the correct socket that will not only fit the bulb, but also accommodate the locking ring. As I noted I'll be keeping an eye on my band-aid fix (which is quite functional, it's just a PITA to change the bulb) and if it seems to keep cool and not melt the insulation, I may just leave it. Or I may pick one up when I'm close to the dealer and see what they are actually selling. If it's a new socket with larger-gauge wire and the metal locking ring already attached, that's a steal even at the hyper-inflated price of $11; after all, the little plastic socket with pigtails for the city (clearance/driving) light lists for $24.50. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts