Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6332&item=4535071053&rd=1

what is up with this center console its craazy lookin why is it like that???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it a real AMG? The wheels look terrible on the car. It does the extra wood on the doors. Also, I was told, if the air filter cover only has 1 duct, instead of two(like the 560's), it does not have the AMG motor. Is this true?

I have never seen a console like that, it must be custom? Did AMG ever re-arrange switches like that?

Best Regards,

Steven Z.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The center console was most likely done at a stereo shop. During the 80's my shop as well as others did many such consoles. AMG stayed away from stereo mods, leaving it up to the customer. They did however, send many extra wood pieces to their customers for these mods. Sometimes I think they sold more wood than cars.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
That centre console is awful. [}:)]

...But I do like the extra wood on the doors.

·
Registered
573 Posts
very typical of some of the stuff carried out by some p.o.'s., especially on amg cars.

i just saw a w210 e-class........it had a full video screen in the center console.....and a 3 pc stereo system.....and the two were linked (like the w220).

the a/c and stereo controls were on the screen. go figure.

sorry....didn't have a camera.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
The center console is an original AMG item. It was targeted for mostly the Saudi crowd from the info I gathered. The price for the stereo system from AMG was in the 12000 DM range. Very rare option.. and neat to see one in the US. I've seen the center console parted out and sold for high $.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
It almost looks like a photoshop retouch. Looks rather crazy!!!! Hopefully, the sound is awesome considering all the switches. Plus, the car really looks like a junker!

Also, that's probably why there are so many accidents today due to the fact that people are putting these TV screens in the front console so they can watch TV and drive. That's definitely idiotic!!!

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
No no, i don't watch tv while driving, that's dangerous. I play GTA3, NeedforSpeed Underground, and Unreal Tournament 2004 while driving. Of course i keep an eye on the road with my infrared camera and display in the sun visor.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As usual, Snibble knows nothing. The center console and/or stereo setup was not an AMG item. I was there so many times when the Sauds actually flew people to the AMG facility to take dimensions, depth, etc., but AMG wanted no part of doing any of the work. The Brunei royalswere such complainers that they ruined it for everyone. AMG gave the owners whatever pieces they wanted. Extra wood, extra metal strapping, housings, you name it, but they themselves never touched it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you guys think this is a REAL AMG car? The seller says it needs a head gasket, could it have the 32-valve engine? I know, they are bad about having head gasket problems if not properly maintained. I e-mailed the seller for the rear-end ratio and he said it was 2.24? Was this a AMG ratio and was it a Gleason?

Regards,

Steven Z.
New member seeking to find a rare 500SEL

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/14/2005 11:53 PM

As usual, Snibble knows nothing. The center console and/or stereo setup was not an AMG item. I was there so many times when the Sauds actually flew people to the AMG facility to take dimensions, depth, etc., but AMG wanted no part of doing any of the work. The Brunei royalswere such complainers that they ruined it for everyone. AMG gave the owners whatever pieces they wanted. Extra wood, extra metal strapping, housings, you name it, but they themselves never touched it.
I am sorry, I forgot that MRDOUCHE is the one that visited the AMG factory as a kid and is "in the know" with just about everyone and everything. How about you stop bull shitting yourself? First you say you were at the AMG factory as a young kid... then say how you had people come in to your store during the '80's to get sound systems.

The console piece has an AMG part number label on the back. I will look through my picture archive and try to find it, but its been atleast 6 months since I last saw the console and stored pictures of it. The system of course was not made by AMG, just like most parts where not made by them... instead they subcontracted and you purchased through them. I will also try to find the source for the cost of the whole system, but its together with the pictures. I am 100% sure it said 12000 DM and this was in 1983.

Attachments

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
right. I have seen an invoice for that system, sounds about right...i thought it was 10000 US though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you consider a kid. Started going to AMG when I was 20, and stopped when I got married at 28. Sometimes, I spent 2 to 3 months there, virtually every day.

Only went to the stereo shops to pick up the cash, check out the girls and have the latest in my cars. I don't like to really work.

NEVER did AMG cut out switches or add stereo stuff in openings that were not originally there

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
I'm not going to argue on this topic with this tool anymore. If he believes that AMG never installed a stereo system and did a fabrication of the console to fit the system, then let him be.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
bronze560SEL - 3/14/2005 1:57 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6332&item=4535071053&rd=1

what is up with this center console its craazy lookin why is it like that???
No too sure about the look/finish. Seems to me someone asked a 5 year old to fit the stereo,... and he never finished the job.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Started going to AMG when I was 20, and stopped when I got married at 28. Sometimes, I spent 2 to 3 months there, virtually every day.
So it would be fair to say you may have spent about 600 days there? Was this in the 50's before AMG existed? Many companies subcontract. This does not mean that they "had nothing to do with it." Nearly every large company subcontracts other companies to make their components. They then stamp them with their logo and it becomes their's. You know what? AMG never even made exhausts! Sebring makes them and AMG never had anything to do with them, they just fitted them. You know what, I still think there are such things as AMG exhausts.
By the way, is that the steering wheel you got me Snibble? (On the cover of the spec sheet.)

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
MRDOUCHE.. I hope this just shows you that YOU are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Reword your statements next time you try to attack me online. I will make you look like a bigger fool than what you already are.

EuroCoupe, yes. I will contact you later via email.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts