Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
I hope to own a diesel Benz with a stick shift one day.
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mercedes GE 230 vs. Nissan Patrol 3.0d

Hello,

I have been lurking around a lot lately searching for posts about the ge230. As I have not been that successful in my queries as I would have wanted it to have been , I would like to know what are some reactions that come to mind when I mention a ge230. General Information, specific tidbits, personal anecdotes, any information that you would like to contribute is very welcome. This information would be very pivotal and useful in evaluating a 1988 ge230 that I am contemplating purchasing at the moment.

As of the moment the owner has provided some detailed information that I am glad to share. The vehicle has a tropical roof(a special roof very effective in lowering the temperature in the vehicle), two extra fuel tanks, and has traveled 90,000 kilometers or 56,000 miles. The vehicle is operated through a manual transmission with option of using the differential lockers in difficult off road conditions.

Is is a fact that the chassis of this specific vehicle in mind is based on the Mercedes- Benz truck line and the parts can be sourced and bought at Mercedes Benz Truck parts stores. Also is it totally necesary to run a grade of super gasoline on this specific engine being that is almost 20 years old. I have included a picture so you can see for yourself what I am talking about.

Thank you for your valuable time,

Eso7

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
It's not the most exciting enging Mercedes ever made but it's very strong and if somthing goes wrong very cheap to repair.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Gert,

Thank you for that excellent piece of advice. I acknowledge it isn't a 280ge which is a relatively quick engine but at the same time it isn't a slug like a 300gd. As a strong engine, how much should mileage should I normally expect out of it without overhauling this german engine?

This engine would be much cheaper to overhaul than a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine I can imagine being a cost advantage, but how is the fuel economy on this specific model as I am under the impression that is a heavy automobile. How feasible would it be to have removed the diferentials to get a better fuel mileage, due to my person not giving this rig much off road usage and it would be seeing mostly highway driving.

I share with you all another illustration of the Gelaendewagon.

Thank you for your valuable time in reading my post,

Eso7

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
If you don't take it off-road the engine won't suffer that badly. Just change the oil and the filter each 5000 km and you will be fine. Also let an expert check the car out before you buy it because that will be a small price to pay if anything goes wrong after you just bought it. 90.000 kms is not much and a manual is a lot less expensive and easier to fix than an automatic when it breaks. I had an 230 CE when I was much younger and it never failed me. Removing the differentials is noting worth to consider in my opinion. Fuel economy will never be outstanding but hey, it is a heavy truck. From where are you exactly ? Greetz.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gert,

Good stuff to know that the 230 is a reliable gasoline engine. I can imagine fuel economy is not that great but what can you ask for from such a behemoth of an automobile.Will do the mechanic check up if I get more serious about this purchase. How would you compare this vehicle to a BMW X5 3.0d as I believe they are totally different animals.

Thanks for your input and time,

Greetings from Tropical Nicaragua to Belgium

ESO7

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Well you almost can't find 2 different 4X4's than an 230 GE form the 80's and an X5 3.0 D.

230 GE : simple, durable, cheap to buy and to maintain and almost no electronics.

X5 : luxurious, high tech, expensive, fast and very pricey to buy and maintain. It also has a lot of electronic gizmo's that can (and will) go wrong at some time (especially in humid conditions).

If you are on a budget : take the 230 GE, if you're not, take a G 500. Forget about the X5.

Greetings from Belgium.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the moment let's forget about the X5 as a new candidate has been brought to my attention that is up against the GE230 it is the Patrol 3.0d. How would these vehicles compare to each other?

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Pretty much the same only the Patrol will be a little bit cheaper to maintain because of wider availability of spare-parts. It will also be cheaper to run if you do a lot of mileage considering it's a diesel. Off-road they also are very close. The G wins in the exclusivity stakes naturally. But if you do want to buy another G I can only recommend : buy the best you can afford and try to go for a W463, lot more luxury and comfort.

·
Registered
1988 230GE
32 Posts
I have had my '88 230 GE for 2 years now with nothing but fluids and tune up items. Not that bad in the speed dept. (I drive pretty conservatively) and ~17 MPG. These hand made vehicles are of the finest quality of any truck ever made. I marvel at the design and craftsmanship and don't regret for a second the aquisition.

I believe the frame is specific to the G class only. My owners manual calls for 89 octane and the engine runs perfect and is very simple to work on (scheduled maintenance). Parts are readily available.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your answer , your assistance is much appreciated. I am highly interested in seeing this vehicle in person due to the nature of comments made here of the G's build quality and design and craftmanship. This leads me to this: Is the G hand made or built. How many persons can fit into a long wheel base: does the G have safari style bench seating in the trunk or boot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have examined the G

I have examined the G and it is good but it makes a pulsating vibration when you are press on the brake pedal. Not always is the vibration. But sometimes and kind of strong. What is that?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have examined the G

I have examined the G and it is good but it makes a pulsating vibration when you are press on the brake pedal. Not always is the vibration. But sometimes and kind of strong. What is that?

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
eso7 said:
For the moment let's forget about the X5 as a new candidate has been brought to my attention that is up against the GE230 it is the Patrol 3.0d. How would these vehicles compare to each other?
That's like comparing a Japanese Zero to a Focke-Wolfe 190... if you know your WWII aviation. OOPS...drunk again and off on another tangent.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
eso7 said:
Rotors. Turn or replace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts