Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello jouniu,

Anything new on your engine project?

Best regards,
Still waiting cad pictures about connecting rods. Intake manifold modification during may-june. Cylinder heads need to go flowbench and then see how much there is porting job. I am quite sure that R-seats and basic cleaning is enough.

I talk with guy who have made all my previous project welding, and we came to conclusion that for the space there is available it is really hard to do better headers than OEM.

Good thing is that local machinery has now ability to work with alusil blocks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hi jouniu,
"Good thing is that local machinery has now ability to work with alusil blocks"....
... lucky guy, wish someone could do it over here!

I even went to the extent of searching for a machine shop in Hong Kong, during my last trip there 2 weeks ago...nada! I guess the MB/Porsche guys have their machining done across the border (China) :eek:, if at all.

Next stop, try in Singapore and Malaysia ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Availability

Are these headers still available for purchase? Are they stainless? Jet-hot coated? Looks like I have to spend 1000 on new cats, might as well get some killer headers and universal cats and be far ahead of any stock setup... Plus these may help a future AMG supercharger swap :D .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really? I was refering to the long tube M113 headers not the M119 Shorties... I gues this aint my old smogged vette :-/ where long tubes are HUGE. Anyone experiment with fitting other M113 headers on the M129? Looks like C, E and R230 all have short/mid header options for a reasonable cost. obviously they will bolt to the heads, but our cars look a little cramped with respect to the exhaust manifold.

These were custom made and I don't think the end result was worth the investment. I'm sure Chicky who had them fabricated will chime in.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think Tech Tune had the long tube headers on his M113 engined R129. Try to do a search on his posts or PM him. If I am not mistaken, he had the 4 into 1 long tube headers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi all, I'm now back with my R129 5,5 AMG project. Whom shall I contact, to buy long tube headers for my M113 engine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just saw this thread.

Purchased a new old 1997 e420 m119 w210.

Absolutely no where does anyone mention building headers except on this thread which is 11 years old now.

I am hopping you finished your project.

Did any M119 guys jump on board?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Just saw this thread. Purchased a new old 1997 e420 m119 w210.

Absolutely no where does anyone mention building headers except on this thread which is 11 years old now. I am hopping you finished your project.

Did any M119 guys jump on board?
Did you read this entire thread? There's minimal power gain, and the headers would probably cost more than you paid for the entire car. You'd be better off swapping in a 5.0L engine instead.

:eek

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Headers helped out engines in the olden days due to head/exhaust manifold design limitations, but today's modern heads flow WAY more efficiently right from the factory.

Have you looked at the primary exhaust system on our cars? The V12 OEM setup looks like a take-a-part Tri-Y header. The V8 is probably similar with individual head pipes per cylinder, collecting 4 into 2 and then 2 into 1 (per side). Not like in days of yore when exhaust manifolds looked like a log with each cylinder dumping straight in with the exhaust pulse ricocheting against the back wall of the log right back into the exhaust port.

Headers aren't the hot secret they once were back in the 60's when headers were cheap.

I can't imagine how much a full length, stainless, custom built M119 V8 header for the R129 chassis would cost. Mass produced, full length stainless headers for Mustang V8s (4 valve per head engine design like a M119 or M113, not like a Chevy LS motor) go for over $1K.

Still, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My W210 E60-RS has custom tubular headers and full custom exhaust. RENNtech charged nearly $13k for this option back in the late 90's. It's a tight fit in the 210 engine compartment...

:eek

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I did, I was mostly hoping for a deep amg v8 Growl.

No real modifications to be done on my car power wise.

I guess an x pipe and either a magnaflow muffler or an unrestricted e55 amg muffler.

Unless anyone has a preferred muffler to give the throaty deep v8 sound without any drone noise.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Just have a muffler shop fashion a resonator delete to get the sound you are looking for.

If the E55 AMG muffler is anything like a R129 AMG muffler, then it's the same as a regular stock OEM muffler with different tips. So don't worry about the muffler (use your existing one) and just eliminate the resonator.

There are plenty of threads on this reality.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
35 Participants
mahunt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing